4-stroke after KDX? (Am I crazy???)

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm 6'2" and 215lbs, 37 yr old and a C-level trails rider. I've had my KDX200 for about 1.5yrs. I ride mostly trails but I do enjoy an MX track when I get a chance.

The places I ride have large uphill/downhill sections along with tight twisty trails, and unless I'm in the "right" gear, I have to really work the clutch/throttle in order to make it up the hill. Since I'm almost never in the "right" gear, I have to do a lot of work to clear the hill.

I'm interested in getting a 4-stroke because of their "twist and go" power delivery. I've only ridden one 4-stroke, a YZ250F, but it was a blast in the woods and the power delivery gave me great confidence.

I'm concerned a 250 thumper may be underpowered for my weight...
- Any recommendations for my next bike?
- Any bike I should avoid?
- Should I wait for the CRF450X?
- As long as I follow the maintenance schedule, is there a reasonable chance that the 4-stroke motor will blow up?
- Or should I keep the KDX and get better at throttle control?

Thanks for your thoughts...

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I sold my KDX200 and KX125 this year for a YZ 250F. No regrets. The one bike easily replaced the two. I'm not power hungry, so I find the power of the YZ (although mine is a 262) just fine. If you are more inclined to trail ride, the WR is a nice bike too. I've been able to ride the YZ and WR back-to-back and feel that both are a vast improvement over a KDX.

shenzirubani

Oct 30, 2004
Also trying to make a choice between a 250 4-stroke (CRF, RMZ) or a 250 2-stroke (YZ, RM). I read somewhere that the new 4-stroke were more demanding on maintenance and more costly to maintain than the 2-strokes. Why? Any idea? I thought that a 2-stroke would be more pain as it would need more piston/ring/gasket replacement and has a higher risk of ceasing. Or is that only for the pros. I'd be riding MX and HS. (37 y-o too and my previous bikes were CR125, XR400, XR600, KTM 450 EXC)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom