wali2408

Aug 8, 2008
I have been riding now for about two years i have a yz125 right now but i am looking for a new bike. Since i do mostly trail riding i would like a four stroke, but i have heard that when the blow up it cost around 1500 to get them fixed. I was just wondering whats the chances of me dealing with that. I want to spend under 3500 for a used 450. Also what is some other things that i would need to repair on a four stroke thats not on a 2 stroke like valves. Would a drz 400 be more reliable then a mx 450 and is a 450 more reliable than a 250f thanks

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
wali2408 said:
I Would a drz 400 be more reliable then a mx 450 and is a 450 more reliable than a 250f thanks

Yes.

Valves breaking could possibly take out a lot of other stuff (piston, rod and cases), but I haven't experienced this. Get as new as possible and preferably ridden by a "little old lady from Pasadena".

Don't rule out a 250 2 stroke for the trail ... lightweight, ample power and cheaper to fix are the pluses .... all for less than 3500 used.

Get one of each (2 stroke and 4 stroke) if possible. :cool:

Last edited:

riot983

Feb 12, 2008
I have never experienced any problems with my yz426f. It really depends on your maintnence schedule. If you change oil and and change the air filer frequently. And clean it often. The bike will last a longgggg time. I have never checked valves or done new top end. I have owned my bike 2 years and it runs like new and i ride everyother weekend. I love the 426 on the trails plenty of power a little weak on low end. just my thoughts

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
riot983 said:
I have never experienced any problems with my yz426f. It really depends on your maintnence schedule. If you change oil and and change the air filer frequently. And clean it often. The bike will last a longgggg time. I have never checked valves or done new top end. I have owned my bike 2 years and it runs like new and i ride everyother weekend. I love the 426 on the trails plenty of power a little weak on low end. just my thoughts
Are you trying to say that your neglect of maintenance is the reason you have experienced no problems? To say I went 2 years without doing anything and suggesting that to another rider is irresponsible.

We do all the maintanence on a regular (probably way to anal) schedule and for the most part have never had a major problem but...

A bike my son got from the local dealer to race last season which was supposed to be all stock dropped a low quality valve (nobody seems to know where it came from) and the resulting repair would have exceeded $2500 easily if he had not been sponsored by Eric Gorr. So yes 4 strokes are great machines but unless you are extraordinarily lucky you need to do all maintenance on them to expect them to keep running

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just to clarify, Oldguy is referring to MX 4 strokes. An XR/DRZ type trail 4 stroke will be much less parts hungry.

He is absolutely correct about the mxers, keep up on the engine with quality parts or pay dearly.

Top Bottom