4-Strokes Illegal in Schoolboy Class at LL's in 05

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For Immediate Release
August 28, 2004

MX Sports Announces 125cc Two-Stroke Only Format for Schoolboy Classes at Loretta Lynn's
250cc "F" four-strokes no longer legal for 12-15-year-old youth group

Morgantown, WV - MX Sports, producers of the Air Nautiques/AMA Amateur National Motocross Championships at Loretta Lynn's Ranch, will change the structure of the 125cc Schoolboy (12-15) class for 2005. The class will now only be eligible for 125cc two-stroke machines; 250cc four-strokes will no longer be allowed to compete. The rule applies to both the stock and modified divisions of the 125cc Schoolboy (12-15) class.

"Most of our minicycle riders graduate into the Schoolboy class once they're ready for full-sized bikes, and we want to make that transition easy for them," said MX Sports Director Tim Cotter. "We believe a 125cc motorcycle is an easier first step for a 12 to 15-year-old racer to handle."

The decision was made jointly through MX Sports and the AMA after thorough discussion. The new rule will apply in all levels of qualifying for the AMA National Championship. The 250cc four-strokes will also not be legal to qualify in the Schoolboy classes at the Area and Regional qualifiers. The 250cc four-strokes will, however, remain legal in all other 125 classes at the National Championships, including 125 A, B and C divisions.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
there will be 3 entries.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
If that.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
kendall is going to try to qualify for loretta's in the little girls class next year on her 85. if the turnout in schoolboy is really that low, we might have to borrow a 125 and try that too.

anybody got a 125 setting around that they're not using? want to sponsor a rider? ;)

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
No one want's to win a national title if it means you are going to have to ride a 125. She can use my bike if she wants Jay.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
super rat said:
No one want's to win a national title if it means you are going to have to ride a 125. She can use my bike if she wants Jay.
I don't know about that- thekid would have been dam proud if he wuld have made Lorrettas regardless which bike.
I guess in the short (as long as they are around) run it is a good idea to have everyone on the same size bikes but as long as it stays legal to run the 4 strokes in local; AMA schoolboy I can't see people buying a 2 stroke just for trying to get to LL.
As far as the schoolboy class (or here in Wis the 125Jr) class I think it is a great entry class from the 85s. A couple local tracks didn't have it and thekid ran the 13 to 24Yr class. He didn't have a problem with it but some of the 13 and 14 yr olds wouldn't enter because they were intimidated being out there with the 20yr olds on their 450s

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Okiewan said:
there will be 3 entries.

its the "schoolboy" racing class Okie, not the old codgers sunday afternoon practise ride! :laugh: :nener:

Joking aside, i think its a good thing and i also bet there will be alot of people sign up- if nothing else, it will keep the cost of racing down for those that cant afford to race a thumper all season......but thats just my opinion! :cool:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
It will also increase the cost for parents of kids riding both schoolboy and other 125 classes where the 250F's are a big advantage. Now, they get to buy another bike. I am afraid that if racing expenses don't level off, it may hurt racing at the local level. I am already hearing about people dropping out and only attending prepped track practice days. JMO

john3_16

May 17, 2004
showtime586 said:
It will also increase the cost for parents of kids riding both schoolboy and other 125 classes where the 250F's are a big advantage. Now, they get to buy another bike. I am afraid that if racing expenses don't level off, it may hurt racing at the local level. I am already hearing about people dropping out and only attending prepped track practice days. JMO

Yeah the costs of the 250f' are out of hand, then you pile on the maintenance they require...Just not worth it...

Back in the late 80's and early 90's the local tracks around here they had to double gate just one class because there were so many entries..

Now some of these same tracks have to combine different classes just to get 3/4 of the gate full...

And it's only going to get worse guys..The U.S. dollar is headed south...No ifs about it...That will drive the price of new bikes up bigtime...

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The rule is a L.L. MX Sports only thing and not going to be inforced at local AMA races.
L.L. has gotten to be way too much about the money for me.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
showtime586 said:
L.L. has gotten to be way too much about the money for me.
I remember reading about how much it cost to do LL last year, no way I could afford it.
XRpredator said:
I can remember when the Schoolboy's were all on YZ100's
You're one up on me, I can't even remember. What were we talking about??? :bang:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Jeff,
It has gotten to the point it is ridiculous, and this is at the Area and Regional level. Right off of the top of my head I can remember $5.00 for a small bag of ice. A $15 fee to use your own pit bike. A fee if you brought a pet. $20 for a practice session. High gate fees and entry fees. $10 dollars per class per event, just to have your results mailed in to MX Sports. It goes on and on. Everyone associated with having a qualifier has their hand out. It has gotten that bad..:(

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
oldguy said:
II can't see people buying a 2 stroke just for trying to get to LL.

Oh man, don't beleive that for a second. Ever heard of Ian Trettle? A Suzuki support rider who is whinning titles and getting print in most of the racing mags. Well, they live about 30 minutes from me and I have ridden their track several times. You would not beleive the setup they have created as they have raced 50's, 65's and 85's. I feel like I am at a factory shop LOL!. Whould they buy an extra bike or two for one more title. Probably. Actually, it would probably be given to them anyway.

Hell, I know a local kid that wants to compete a LL, He is home schooled has 2 or 3 race bikes and a mechanic. And he is not really that fast!

Most of the top riders go through more than one bike anyway and if they race mod and stock classes, that requires different bikes. People that realy go for the national amature scene will not bat an eye at having to buy a 125.

kniles812

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2003
I think its a great idea having only 125's in the school boy class. The whole point of this class is for riders that are coming up from the minis. Its a class thats meant as a progessional class. I think its good they made this rule and I hope that it stays this way. I dont think many kids are ready to move from an 85 to a 250F, let alone start it....just my $0.02

Top Bottom