mikie

Mar 13, 2001
Picking up my new 400 exc later this week...anything special I should look for or request from dealer on prepping this bike?

Thanks

gasgasbill

Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by mikie:
Picking up my new 400 exc later this week...anything special I should look for or request from dealer on prepping this bike?

Thanks
YES,ASK THEM IF THAY WOULD INSTALL A GASGAS ENGINE IN IT FOR YOU.
JUST JOKING HOLMES! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BIKE.

------------------
BILL L.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
"YES,ASK THEM IF THAY WOULD INSTALL A GASGAS ENGINE IN IT FOR YOU.
JUST JOKING HOLMES! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BIKE."

I'll bet the KTM at least has a master link, gasgasbill!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 03-26-2001).]

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Mine was really well prepped by my dealer.
All crucial bolt were loctited,some important fasteners safety wired,etc etc ...Here's their must do list : http://www.cycleimprovements.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/cycle/switchboard.cgi?ktmmustdo
Lots of good info on their site too...
smile.gif

It's a shame that a lot of dealer don't do good PDI like that...they will sell me my next bike for sure !! Hopes it help !!
ROOST ON !!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Mikie,
I have heard and seen new bikes fall apart, like the rear axle nut being loose and let the sprocket chew on the swing arm of a crisp new bike. Or Sprocket bolts work loose and pull out of a new hub. Shifter and kick starter fall off.

Before you call all you riding buddies to come check it out, you need to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb. On you way back from the dealer stop and get both red and blue lock tite and spend 2 to 3 hours checking everything yourself. Put the blue on all the small bolts 8 & 10 mm and the red on 13mm and larger. Check and make sure you air filter has not dried out and that it is seated correctly. Check your motor oil level motor mounts ect....

Sure you might find all the sprocket bolts were already tight or that the air filter was fine, and everything checked out Ok. But aleast you know first hand.

Good Luck,
Dirt-2th

Oct 27, 2000
My upper oil screen (the one by the shifter) was not installed right from the factory. It was all twisted up. I heard another guy complain of the same thing.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
Double check the fork pinch bolts for correct torque. The top bolts should be 15ft.lbs and the bottom should be 11ft.lbs. If these are to tight it will cause problems.
Also check the shock mounts and the front axle nut as these are all installed by your dealer. You will feel better if you know for sure that they are correct.

katoomster

Oct 16, 2000
Ditto on the long oil screen-- mine was a pretzel from the factory (I think it was installed with the small opening at the wrong end, since I have had no problems since). Maybe it was installed by the same gorilla that torqued the small oil screen bolt to 300ft-lbs.

------------------
2000 KTM 400EXC

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Mechantloup, Thats a good sight, the thing about the front forks on early EXC models, what are your experiences with that? Its got me thinking I need disassemble my forks and replace the bottoming stopper? And loctite the tubes to the axle mount. The oil was low in my forks as well. But, all in all, the dealer that set up my 520 did a very good job. Thanks for the cool site!

Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by katoomster:
I think it was installed with the small opening at the wrong end

Small end? I have a 2001 400MXC. Both ends on mine seem to be the same. Are other years different?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Mikie, I had my bike shipped to me from the midwest. Uncrating and prepping a brand new bike was a lot of fun and I was able to complete the assembly without a "middleman". If your dealer will let you and you know what to do, I would recommend it. Happy trails.

------------------
President,ETRA.
'01 KTM520E,
'99 KTM200E,
'93 CR500R
enee,menee,minee,mo

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Shaw520, everything was perfect....the fork problem you refer to was on mini EXC,not RFS...no fork work to do for you !!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01

katoomster

Oct 16, 2000
Regarding "small end" on the long oil screen, it is the internal diameter that is different on each end. At least that is true on my 2000 and on its replacement filter. If you put the end with the smaller opening in first, it will not seat correctly against the far wall and will get crunched when you torque it down. But it can be tough to tell. The filter sort of "pops" into place on the wall of the sump when it is in correctly.

------------------
2000 KTM 400EXC

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I would discourage anyone from buying a motorcycle from the crate. My warranty policy says that it will void my warranty if the dealer does not set the bike up.
frown.gif

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
what warranty policy? ktm doesn't stand behind their supposed warranty.

my brand new 520 exc died after 3 miles when i first got it. turned out to be a short in one of the wires from the coil that only happened when the bike got warm. cost me almost $400 to get it fixed (by a ktm dealer)because it was so hard to track down. all ktm would cover is a half labor for electrical problems.

since then the bike's been awesome. although just checked the valves for the first time and caught the exhaust valves just in time.

i agree with going over every bolt yourself. its amazing what comes loose on these bikes.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers a warranty on an offroad competition motorcycle. I have read on other forums that people have had their swingarms replaced on 3 year old motorcycles and cylinders replaced on 1 year old bikes. That sounds pretty good to me?

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
I have add good comments on KTM support of their products ...Try getting half labor paid for an electrical problem on a CR ...or YZ...or RM...or KX ...No way, those bike have NO warranty.....

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
first of all ktm does supposedly have a warranty unlike other makes. its just they didn't stand behind mine: brand new bike. paid over $7k for it. rode 3 miles. stopped. got it fixed with 6-7 hours labor and a $5 part. ktm would only cover the part and a half hour labor. thats no warranty!!!! even worse the original dealer i bought the bike from (it came from out of state) ignored my demands for some kind of payback.

[This message has been edited by creator8 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Top Bottom