400sx suspension settings, please!

HGaither

Oct 23, 2000
Can someone please give me some more advice on what suspension settings to run on an 01 400sx or I may have to leave the fold because this thing is killing me! I weigh about 210. thanks for any and all help.

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
I believe you posted on Thumpertalk, and there is some good advice on that thread, but I'll try to help you out here. What exactly is the bike doing?(handling wise). Is the rear sag setup properly? How's the front end? is it knifing in the turns? Is it too soft? or too stiff? Your shock and fork manuals have trouble shooting guides in them which are extremely helpful. Where are you testing out your settings? At a MX track? For your weight, you should use 45's for fork springs and the pds 250 (stock spring) should do fine, although it might be a little soft but setting the rear sag will tell you that. A re-valve is very helpful if done by an experienced technician. The mid-valve needs to be stiffened up to keep the forks from blowing through the stroke. I would recommend Shock Therapy in Brea California as they are VERY experienced in motocross type setups for the 4-stroke KTM's Erik

HGaither

Oct 23, 2000
400sx suspension

It basically is just about knocking me off the bike on bigger jumps and just does not inspire confidence as did my wr400. Can KTM suspension be made to work close to the Yamaha?

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
You need to be more specific about what the bikes suspension is doing.
The bike can be set up to ride awesome, but you need to communicate what's happening with the suspension more clearly.

HGaither

Oct 23, 2000
400sx suspension

I wish that I knew how to describe it, but other than landings being really hard I don't know what to say. I don't know if I'm bottoming out for sure or not. I know the magazines don't have any major complaints about the suspension and say the stock spring should work but something is just not right.

Top Bottom