nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a 400SX and what they thought of the bike and what mods and hop ups they did to it. I race enduros, hare scrambles, and mx and have always ridden Kawasakis. This year I might be riding a 400 and would certainly like to hear any worthwhile information about the bike. Thanks

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The bike is awesome. The suspension is easy to dial. Jetting needs attention, but once dialed it becomes quite the ride! I added a T-4 pipe, partly because I needed an arrestor, but gained a little power and saved a couple of lbs.

I think the '02 400SX is a great choice!

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I raced a 2001 400 SX all last year and had a grin on my face the whole time. It worked flawlessly all year long and gets my vote fot the most versatile bike ever!!!

I raced everything last year. Moto, a couple arenacrosses, hares scrambles and some enduros. The suspension was a little stiff on some of the smaller stuff at the off-road races but worked great for moto. The motor is great and very user friendly.

I also replaced the stock muffler with a Pro Circuit T4 to gain a spark arrestor and loose some weight.

My bike was jetted OK out of the box but I still did some tinkering. I ended up with the following settings.

OCEMN needle, 4th clip
162 main
stock pilot
1 turn out on fuel screw

I didn't do any AP mods but plan to on my new 2002 that will be here any day I hope!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

Coach

cphillips

Feb 25, 2001
Hey Coach,

Any problems on top with that 162 main. I have read several post about 400's using a 170 with the EMN needle.

Just wondering cause I'm about to re-jet my 400 to improve the low end response.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
cphillips

I tried everything from 160-200 for main jets and found that I liked the 162 best for most applications. I takes a little away from the bottom but lets it pull like crazy on mid and top.

I richen up the main to a 170 or 175 if I'm riding off-road and want some more bottom end.

Coach

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Nate - WHAT?? 4 STROKE!! Just because you got bumped, you're looking for an "easier" class?:p
Anyway, take a trip over to Holeshot's forum and do a search for 400sx jetting, and you'll find a tremendous amount of information about what Strick has done to his 400sx to improve it. I think he still has a few issues with it's off idle response (hard to get it to respond like a mighty 300!), but otherwise he's put a lot into figuring the bike out. He also has done a bit of tinkering with the suspension, to make it a bit more "friendly."
Now, shouldn't you be studying....?:scream:

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
I am studying Magoo, I can do both things at the same time. In AA class, it doesn't matter
what bike you ride because AA is just one class so all the different sizes of bikes are competing against each other. But anyway, my dad wanted me the ride KTM's this year because Dave is going race Kawasaki's and he's going to race his Cannondale. He said I should ride the 400 so I thought about it for a minute and decided it would be a lot of fun and a good challenge. Plus we'll have all sorts of KTM parts in stock too:cool:

TnT

Jan 23, 2001
The 400SX is one of the most versatle bikes out there. It can be raced in a MX one day and be happy in a 100mph desert race the next without any major modifications other than a bigger tank. The power is perfect (for me anyway) it has good suspension, ergonomics and can be rode fast for long periods of time without turning the rider into a limp noodle. You can't go wrong purchasing this bike. I'm very happy with mine.

TnT
02 400SX

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Dude I have had 5 KTM,s since 98 and was one of the first in this area to show up at a race on the pds bikes.
Man did I get some looks that summer.
I really enjoyed the 380sx,s I have had . one 98 and two 99,s.
I liked that 99 so much I bought another new one to race in 2000.
Anyway in 01 I went to the 520sx and I just love it. Now I have an 02 520sx.
As much as I love the bike I have to say this.
Two of my racing buddies just bought 01 400sx,s and I think that bike is the most fun bike I ever rode in my life.
No it doesnt have the power of the 520 but so what.
Its power and suspension is almost perfectly matched.
If KTM makes the 450 in 2003 it should be awsome.
When I ride that bike I can snap that throttle wide open and on my home track and turn a better lap than on the 520. Yea I am working a little harder by shifting a little more but it is fun.
If I had a little extra dough I think I would pick one up and just hold on to it for different types of riding and save the 520 for what I bought it for , strictly
MX.:D

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I am studying Magoo, I can do both things at the same time.
Glad you've got that multi-tasking ability!:D
He said I should ride the 400 so I thought about it for a minute and decided it would be a lot of fun and a good challenge.
You sure gave it a lot of thought!:p

If I was going to get a bike right now, the 400SX would be one of my top choices; Burleson's 400 sure was sweet!
Is Dave gonna race enduro - or MX? I've been hearing from your dad that you guys will be doing more MX this year....
And it's not about having KTM parts in stock, it's about having the right KTM parts in stock!

520pilot

Dec 31, 2001
dude! the ktm 4oo doesn't need any hop ups. it will be the best all around bike you could ever own. it's high quality. you will love it!

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
Dave is definitely going to be racing MX, but I think I can talk him into doing a couple
of hare scrambles. We're definetely doing all D14 enduros but there aren'y any in July
or May and there is only the Marquette race in June so might as well do MX.

Top Bottom