Uhhh...
Jun 16, 2001
Can anyone tell me the spanner size required to remove an O so siezed in oil strainer from the frame. Is it 24mm or 25mm?

I got a really good bite with a pair of grips but it's just too tight. I don't want to screw up the head.

Thanks

yami426ff

Jun 4, 2001
I am having the same problem... I cannot get that strainer off. I have yet to remove it over the last 4 oil changes.. I even leaned the bike against the wall and pushed the wrench with my legs... does anyone know if for some odd reason this strainer has a reverse thread????:scream:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
frame strainer

I remember it being hard to loosen. I wouldn't sweat it too much though - I didn't find a speck of dirt in it, and will probably never check it again.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Nope, it is a standard R.H. thread.
Yamaha in its infinite wisdom has seen to paint over these fasteners.
I removed mine after the first ride, it was tough even with good(snappy) wrenches I still got a little roundage on the flats.
I can only imagine how it would be after the paint gets baked on.
I would get a six point socket and Pull the oil line off so I could get room to get a socket in there.
It sounds like it is too late for a open-end.

Last edited:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
No the strainer is not a reverse thread. Yes you will create some new adjectives getting it loose the first time. Get a box end 24mm on it and give it a few raps with the dead blow mallet, should spin out after that. Hit end of wrench not bolt. Needs a sharp blow to break it loose. I have yet to find any debris in that screen but I always check it. Don't force it get a bigger hammer:p

slowmo

Jun 28, 2001
Time for confessional.

Are you saying that you don't even have to pull off the oil line to remove the strainer? Heck, I gave up trying to get the oil hose off; it wasn't budging easily and I was afraid of bending / damaging the metal line towards the bottom end.

Can I just simply loosen the 24mm nut and then pull out the strainer?

I'm reluctant to comment on how many oil / filter changes I've had without addressing the strainer.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
To remove the 24mm nut and strainer, you need to remove the oil line from the right side bottom of the case. This will allow you to work the hose loose from the nipple on the bottom of the frame. Once you get this off you can put 24mm socket with long ratchet, or a pipe on a short ratchet, and it comes right off.

Now the question: Is this necessary? Probably not, but the key word here is probably. There will probably not be anything at all in the screen strainer but you won't know for sure unless you check it.

I checked mine once after about a year of riding, kept meaning to check it sooner, and it had absolutely nothing in it. So I cleaned it anyway and put it back. I will probably never check it again.

Top Bottom