J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Is there a pipe that I can install that wouldn't hurt my current power band?

I read that aftermarket pipes will give it more low end, but creates other holes in the power-band.
Here's my deal: I want a header that does not have to be losened to get to the oil filter! NOW can I install a stock 2001 header on my 2000 and have the same power-band??
On a 4 stroke, does the header or silencer make the most difference???

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
BBR makes a good one from what I have heard but the stocker is REALLY a good pipe. If you want to cure the low end bog send the engine off to Eric Gorr and let him do the deed to it. I am not sure what he does with the 426's but my 400 went to him and he put a 420 kit in it, closed the squish clearence and ported the head... Then Rich assembled it for me because I am a moron and can not do it myself and sent it back....As it sits right now it is perfect. A couple of 426 riders have riden it and wanted to trade, it really is that good. The price of motor work is roughly the same as pipe and silencer too.

HUSAFREEK

Jul 21, 2000
Yamaha's replacement pipes

Has anyone tried the GYTR pipes? Yamaha's web site lists prices and part numbers. They seem reasonably priced compared to the others on the market, and if they did so well with the stocker why not buy one from them that is lighter than the original?

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by J_dem_Bones
Here's my deal: I want a header that does not have to be losened to get to the oil filter! NOW can I install a stock 2001 header on my 2000 and have the same power-band??

Yes.

Unfortunately the stocker is over two hundred bucks new, your best bet is to try and find a used one from an '01 owner who put an aftermarket header on his bike.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
I can buy a GTYR silencer for $230 , which would show up on my door in 2 days, but the header is what I wanted... Should I will start a new post on a used 01 header?...;)
Or does anyone know where I can get one?

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
There is (was?) a GYT-R (DSP, whatever) system for sale on Thumpertalk.

New GYTR Carbonfiber/Stainless pipe 4/sale

IMO none of the aftermarket systems do anything dramatic to the YZ/WR EXCEPT make it even louder (if you can believe that).

Oh, except for that FMF Quiet thing, which I have on my bike. It really is quieter than stock, I swear. Robs a bit of lower mid, but it still revs just like the stock YZ can.

Funny how louder used to be more expensive, now quieter is...:silly:

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
That's the pipe. I e-amailed him and he replyed, then I told him I would buy it today(Tuesday 31st) , now he hasn't returned my message. Oh well...he probably sold it.
Is there any info on the GYTR header performance? I just want to get ride of the big curve on mine. ;)
thanks

Top Bottom