jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Iv'e been riding a 00 426 for about 10 months now and like the bike and characteristics, until I drop it or get into tight situations. I ride mostly mx with a little off road. I am 5'10" 155lbs. Almost 100 lbs lighter than the bike. I like the way the power comes on but at times, the 426 carries enough momentum as if to feel like it's got a mind of it's own. I am looking hard at the new CR 250 because of the 215lb weight. Comments appreciated.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
I have ridden a yz250 and cr250 after almost a year on my 426..it's hard to go from all of that torque and off idle response to something w/o. I am so used to rolling on the throttle that the 2strokes feel funny..stab the clutch and away you go. The weight isn't a deal for me once you are rolling. I feel I use more energy to ride the 2strokes. Just my .02 Good luck w/ your choice. Jason

dirtlord

Jan 12, 2001
Jimmyz, I also ride 00 426 YZF for about a year now, and it is one of the best 4stroke I've ever ridden. I do mostly trails, hare-scramble, and some MX. I do feel the weight of the 426 in tight stuff and I hate it when I stalled in the race! 2 months ago, I got 01 250YZ (2 stroke), the bike is really light comparing to the 426. I discovered advantage and disadvantage on both bikes right away. You get lots more tractions in dry and loose condition on 4-stroke, but I can't wait til winter and spring on 2 stroke. Good luck on your choice.:)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
the only time i feel the 426 weight is when i dump it. i had an 83 kdx 200, i loved the weight, heck...don't tell, but i still like 2 strokes, but i like thumpers better, btw, i'd been riding trails thinkning i was really pouring it on it 1st gear, las night i started riding the same trails in 2d, thinking "i'm gonna bog this thing, i'm not building any power" wrong! i can't believe how strong this bike'll pull from really low rpms. i love that type of power.:D

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The 380 is the true heir to the throne left vacant by the CR5. The 426 motor just pales in comparison (I have ridden both). However, the arm-separating power will tire you out quicker than any other modern bike(I have to confess my experience is limited, in addition to the 380 (-01 and -02 I have only ridden my YZ250, a -00 'berg 501 and the 426 (and of course the 5, but I don't consider them modern))).

Truly one to impress onlookers with.

Nevada426

Sep 6, 2001
How does the KTM380 compare to the Honda CR500? I have both a 2001 CR500 and a 2000 YZ426 and have been curious how the 380 compares to these.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've never ridden a CR500 or a YZ426, although, given the opportunity I'd love to, so I can't give any comparisons.
I did have the opportunity to ride with a friend that had one of the first YZ400s', and his 400 and my 360 were very close acceleration wise. He's way out of my league in ability however, as he used to run the So. Cal. circuit as a 250 pro MXer.
I believe, from what I've heard, that the CR500 should have a much more violent hit than the KTM, and there-in lies the KTMs' advantage-a more usable power-band, just like the 4-strokes. This is not to bash CR500s'-that was actually my first choice when I picked up my KTM. It's strictly a matter of rider preference. That's why I made the statement, "ride the KTM380, then decide."

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I never got the chance to ride the 5 and the 380 back-to-back, since there was a gap between having them in the garage. I've only been riding for a bit over two years, so my riding skills improved quite a bit between the two bikes (I ride a lot (2-4 times a week)).

The 380 has suspension and geometry that are from another planet compared to the CR5, and the new 48mm fork is a vast improvement over the 43.

On the 5 I almost never got to WFO. On the 380 I can now do it whenever. It's not quite the missile the 500 is, but the motor is more rideable. You don't feel like a passenger as often. The vibration is tons less than the 5, no numb fingers.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Don't tell BlueThunder this, but I actually prefer the four-stroke to the two. I am a complete fan of CR's, but a healthy four will let you ride sooo much more effortlessly.

When I ride his 426, then jump back on my CR I always notice how much more clutching/braking that goes on w/ the two-stroke. I prefer the CR handling and feel plus it is damn fast.

If it were me (this is what I'm going to do), I would save up for the CR450F. It is much lighter, and is supposedly a cross between the brute 426 and more mannerly 520, but with less engine breaking than either one.

BTW, I'm keeping my CR (it's just to cool of a bike) but I think the amount of pre-mix used out of my garage is gonna go down dramatcally.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I just purchased the 02 CR 250. I have been riding the 426 (00,01) for a couple of years now. I decided I wanted to check out what a 216lb bike was like. It is LIGHT, so light that I have not figured out how to ride the bike like I can the 426. I have decided to put the 426 in thae garage until I can get used to the 250. The suspension (stock) on the 250 is a dream. I can SLAM the bike into the turns, but can't seem to get it on the pipe like it needs to be.
Thus my problem, not riding a 2 smoke in 2 years. If the 4 stroke were as good as the 2 stroe ALL the guys in the SX/MX world would be on one.
Someday we will all have to be on one, but this year I'll be on the new CR 250 on the track, and am considering the 259F for the woods.
Regards

PS, can you say feather light clutch pullllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!:cool:

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Thanks for the replies. The KTM380 is not a consideration since I am a 250 rider. I have been looking hard at the CR250 and YZ250. It has been over a year since I rode a 2-stroke and the idea of giving up the off idle roll on torque and going to the stay on the pipe with one finger on the clutch seems like a step backward? I am focusing on the wieght differences. I have this idea that a bike wieghing 32lbs less than what I am used to would be more to my liking?

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
IBWFO- what are you finding? Is the transition worth it? Do you miss your 426? How about maintenence differences aside of pre-mix? Does the CR behave as smoothly as the 426 does in rough terrain? How about jumping comparisons? Thanks for any feedback.

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I was thinking about getting a 02 250, after riding a 00 426 this year. Wonder if I would lose any speed going back to the 250(for MX)? The new CR and YZ both look very good- I bet it will be more difficult going back to the 2 stroke than it was going to the 4stroke.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Seth,
It's killin' me! I am still not up to speed yet (2 weeks on the 02 CR)
I have committed to it though.
Bike is awesome, but 2 years on the 426 didn't help.
Regards

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
What are you having the most difficulty adapting to? I rode a friends 01 CR250, and I liked it, but would need some time to get used to using the clutch everywhere. Does it seem as fast as the 426?

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I can't figure it out? I can really slam the bike into the turns but seem like I'm a gear high and I'm never ready for the bike when it gets on the pipe?
My buds I race with say I look and ride like a SPODE on the CR?
Practice again tonightunless it gets rained out.:cool:

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Overall as a race bike I would say yes. It has been much more diifficult to go from th 4stroke back to the 2 stroke. The bike is 30 lbs lighter, and you don't tire as easily. I'm suer there will be many that will disagree, but look at the competition. Given the fact that both Honda and Yamaha have 4strokes, the best riders out there choose to ride the 2 stroke.
I ride both off road and mx and can tell you that the CR wil jump higher and farther with much less effort than the YZ.
There really are some pros and cons to both, depending on the type of riding you do and the caliber rider you are.
The YZ is almost bullet-proof and about all you need is a new chain and some pump gas.
CR corners better, suspension is better and is easy to throw around. YZ is more stable at speed and seems to shift better under power. Yz tracks better in mud and hard-pack.
For me, I'm not nearly as tired at the end of a moto on the CR.

Top Bottom