450 Question - the good, the bad, the ugly.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

I Currently ride a KDX200 2005, I used to ride a TRX400EX. I enjoy the KDX, but feel I will out grow the power of the bike as I am quite hefty and the potential of getting bigger with my other hobby being gym is good.

I enjoyed the smooth power at the bottom of the TRX, but like the snap of the KDX. The way it looks at the moment is that 2-strokes won't be around for more than another 5 years and that the next bike I get should be a 4-stroke.

I saw a RMZ450 for the first time on Saturday, it looks like a really sweet bike and is very well priced. The down side of this is that it only has four gears, and isn't suited to trail ridding, I would assume. Is there any news on an Enduro version coming out?

How would you rate the WR450F, CRF450X, KTM450EXC, DRZ400? Would any of the other MX bikes be suited for trail riding, 450SX, RMZ450, CRF450R, YZ450F and how easily can they be converted? (MX bikes are a little cheaper than the Enduro equivalent)

Here in South Africa Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are doing well, Honda isn't the power it once was, as they pulled out of the country and have only been back for about a year now, so they don't have the back up that the others have? Then there is KTM, which is a bit more expensive than the rest.

Are the 450 4-strokes as maintenance intensive as the 250f's are? Will I have to do the top end all the time, it’s all about money and time? I don't race and ride only every second weekend. I enjoy the idea of low maintenance on my KDX, air filters, gearbox oil, Radiator and lubbing other bits and pieces. With the my TRX all I did was change the oil and filter more often than was required and made sure everything was well lubbed and things were fine.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I suppose it depends on the terrain and how aggressively you ride, but in many parts of the SW US motocross bikes are popular trail bikes. That's all I've ever owned and I've never even been on an MX track. Most of the newer/modern "trail bikes" like the WR, CRFX, E/MXC are basically just like the MX version but w/ e-start and a wide ratio gearbox.

I think a close ratio 5 speed is fine, and maybe even better in some conditions, than a wide ratio 5 speed, but I would not want to be stuck w/ a 4 speed (YZF, RMZ, SX etc.) for off roading. But opinions vary.

I ride a '03 CRF, and if buying a new bike would probably get another one instead of the CRFX. I've never had much trouble kick starting my CRF, and don't have any use for a lighting coil.

That about covers the difference between the MX and (WR, EXC, CRFX) trail versions you mention, lighting coil/light, wide ratio five speed (or 6 w/ the KTM), and e-start.

Due to the need for frequent oil & filter changes four strokes take a little more time to keep up, of course you have periodic valve checks on all the modern thumpers like the WR, KTMs, CRF etc..

The DRZ 400 is kind of a cross between an old school bike like an XR 400 and a WR 450 (to take just one example), I've only ridden one briefly and can say they are deceptively powerful, easy to ride, and handle well. Compared to a KTM, WR, CRFX etc. the DRZ is a bit slower, heavier, and has softer suspension. But it is a proven trail bike. If you think any racing is in your future you would be better off w/ a WR/CRFX/KTM etc.

I've not ridden a WR450, but I've ridden a YZ 450 and a slew of the older WR426 bikes. I would prefer the CRFX (there is a thread going here about that bike) over the WR but not enough to buy one if I couldn't get parts etc. for the Honda. The KTM has a large following and make great bikes but I for one don't like their linkless rear suspension (although I've not ridden an '05 yet).

Hope this helps.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Do the DRZ's require valve checks as ofter as the more moden 4-strokes, WR, CRF, YZ, RMZ, KTM? And How ofter would you check a modern 4-storke as apposed to a DRZ400. I will be honest the weight of the modern bikes would suit me better, as I prefer more technical riding and don't want a really heavy bike.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
WR vs. CRF vs. RMZ vs. YZF vs. EXC vs. SX vs. DRZ

Which is the best for me?? Please read the above responses.

Do the DRZ's require valve checks as ofter as the more modern 4-strokes, WR, CRF, YZ, RMZ, KTM? And How ofter would you check a modern 4-stroke as apposed to a DRZ400. I will be honest the weight of the modern bikes would suit me better, as I prefer more technical riding and don't want a really heavy bike, when I am out on the trail. I don't race or do any MX

Will a MX 450 4-stroke be suited for Tail/Enduro riding ( they are cheeper than Enduro spec bikes)? How does the DRZ 400 compare to the 400EXC and other four strokes on performance?

I want a bike that is going to be reliable and that will require little maintainance other than the usual cleaning of the air filter, replacing the oil and oil filter, checking the radiator and lubing all the moving parts. I want a bike that isn't going to be difficult to throw around in the tight stuff, but that has good legs when you want to open it up.

I weigh 200Lbs without riding kit and I am 5'10".

Top Bottom