BJ

Nov 11, 2002
Hey there, I am a new user and am just learning my way around this site and stumbled onto this problem you all have been discussing. I am in the process of burchasing the 03 wr450f and was wondering if this too will have this same problem?

cahillmd

Mar 8, 2001
I heard from a Yamaha dealer in Oceanside, CA today that there was some kind of recall by yamaha concerning the tranny in the 450f. Anyone else heard anything about this other that what is going around in the forum or on TT?

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
I havent seen anything about a tranny recall. Either here or over at TT. The only problems that i have heard is the clutch.... and some people are complaining about stalling but I have not run into that problem. I think that is a jetting issue.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by cahillmd
I heard from a Yamaha dealer in Oceanside, CA today that there was some kind of recall by yamaha concerning the tranny in the 450f. Anyone else heard anything about this other that what is going around in the forum or on TT?

Can you get us more info from that dealer?  Something in print or a contact name and number? 

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
I am waiting for the parts to come in. The guys in Stillwater are doing great for me. The one guy there I forget his name has a 450 as well. He too is waiting for the parts. When they come in they are gonna send them to me. I will do the labor myself. They are covering the costs of the parts though. Man everytime I ride this thing I fall in love with it all over again. :flame: This is the perfect bike for me. I am faster now than I have been. :yeehaw:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Tree jumper
Well when your not allowed to ride or work, what else am i to do! :)

:whiner:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Yamaha has found the "fix".  Along with changing the parts discribed earlier in this thread, an additional fix is required to make this complete.

Yamaha says to take 4mm out of the lever on the clutch acuating arm.  This is directly contrary to a mod for the 400/426 that adds 5mm to the length of the arm.  I will try to get a copy of the fax so I can post it.  BTW, still no parts. :(

Also, the fax continued saying that the WR450F would have all of these fixes incorporated.  The WR clutch actuating arm will fit the YZ if you choose to buy it rather than cut down your YZ clutch actuating arm.

Last edited:

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Still no parts for me either.  My dealer says March.

Taking off from the gates there is no problem but when I take off slow there is a grabby feal, not really a big deal.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
FWIW, I was just browsing through the new Dirtrider mag and they mention the mod Swift was talking about and to call the folks at Dubach Racing for more info. They have a pic of the mod on his bike, but not instuctions on how to do it.

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Well I just got a call from the dude in Stillwater. They are shipping my parts out to me Today... :yeehaw: He said that yahmaha are delaying the Release of the WR450. Still trying to get the clutch straight.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry to hear everyone had such a hard time getting the parts needed. Figures i got mine fixed right away and couldnt ride it. Good news is if we got alot of rain that melted all the snow. So as long as it doesnt snow tonight i'm going for my first ride since Dirtweek tomorrow!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That's good news Chuck.  Have fun.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Wouldnt you believe my crappy luck! First day i can ride and we get 4" of snow overnight. The weather man was calling for maybe a flurry. Gonna have to wait to ride awhile longer. :(

techman

Feb 18, 2000
Hi Bswift,
I noted your comments about the actuating lever arm lengths. I swapped the 3 01 plates into my 00 and ignored the lever arm issue. I now have a possibly mushy engagement and maybe a hint of drag when released, but I don't pull the lever to the bar because I use a few fingers on lever and a few on the grip. I believe the extra step in the mod was to increase the throw on the outer pressure plate by a combination of exterior lever length and the internal flat-cut-into-shaft connected to that lever. There may have also been a change of the pushrod-stack components to change it's length, compensating for the different cut in the flat-cut-shaft. Such an internal difference could explain apparent contradictions re increased/decreased throw as surmised only by external lever length. The basic lever thing is a bit of extra throw to account for the added spring in the plate stack. But, note that going for too much throw will make your lever harder to pull. Another reason to live with a bit of clutch drag, if even noticeable.

The 00 clutch was very abrupt in engagement at best and downright grabbing and lurching at worst, depending on day, temp, warmup, oil, ride history etc. At one point I think I could coax whistling sounds from my clutch in tight trails. Doesn't happen any more after the mod.

This mod can be done in two steps: plates first, and then if you don't like the lever feel then mess around with the actuation chain (bar lever/pivot, arm length by tranny and internal parts). A little drag and gentle engagement beats chattering the basket into fatigue cracking in my books.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Any idea if the models on the floors now (January 18th) will have the two mods already done to them? I'm "considering" getting a 450, but as of yet, unsure if it's going to be YZ or a CR. I don't want to get a new YZ and immediately have to have two mods done to it already that should be fixed by the factory!

Top Bottom