ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I purchased a 03 200 exc about two months ago. so far i have 3 races and 3 playrides on the bike. (250 miles on fairly rough terrain). The forks have slowly become more harsh on the small square edge bumps. what is causing this?? I have not touched the suspension settings. i thought that the springs might be sagging and causing the forks to ride farther into the stroke. or maybe i just need to replace the fork oil, any suggestions?

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i am not trying to be a smart ass but my weight has nothing to do with the bike's suspension changing over the course of 2 months. i am only trying to replicate what the suspension felt like originally. That was what i was trying to say in the original post.

Last edited:

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Have you bled the air out? Loosen those bleed screws!

Have you removed the front wheel?
If so, you may have the forks bound-up by not centering the wheel correctly.

Loosen the right side axle pinch bolts and lower triple-clamp. Then bounce the bike while holding the front brake. Then tighten all the bolts back up to the correct torque settings.

The axle must be able to slide freely in the right-hand side or when you tighten it, the fork leg will be "pulled" in as you tighten the axle.

I suspect the "new" is wearing off.....you are now feeling the normal WP harshness. :eek: A re-valve will fix it.

Blaineo

Sep 12, 2003
I had the same problem with my 03 200 exc. I tore the forks apart and found long metal shavings jammed between my base valve shim stacks. I removed the shavings .. Forks work much better now..

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I am going to change the oil in the forks this weekend so i will check for metal shavings. I bleed them after every ride and they are not binding. I still kind of think they are riding farther down into the stroke. at least i am not the only one that has noticed this problem. I wonder what jeremy's opinion would be on this problem? any "super tuners" out there?

Top Bottom