Frosty_Power

Mar 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've done a search a found a few guys here pulling a 4x8 trailer and hauling 3 full size bikes. I know it's more suited for 2 bikes but this is all we got to work with and buying a bigger trailer is out of the question at this time. I've got a friend who can weld railing and channel guides on my trailer and was wondering what you guys recommend for me to do. Should I even put railing on? Was thinking 3' high on 3 sides and 3 channel guides on the front and floor of trailer(also need advice on spacing them). Is it a big advantage to have railing on a trailer? I am only going by pictures from other trailers and am very new to this trailer issue so any advice or feedback would be very much appreciated.

I know this has been discussed a few times and have done several searches but could not find anything. Sorry if this is a repost.

Thanks!!!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The widest part of the bikes are the handlebars.

If you can arrange your trailer so that the center bike sits farther forward, up towards the tongue, then things will fit better.

If you can't do that then plan on having the two outside bikes facing forward and the center bike facing backwards.

It is going to be a tight fit and you will want the bikes as wide on the trailer as you can manage. What you might want to consider is throwing down some angle iron or square tubing across the trailer to provide an anchor point 6 inches or so wider than the trailer. You can certainly go as wide as the wheels/fenders without any issues, and even farther if you put reflectors and yellow lights on your outriggers.

A railing all around and some planks to make a box is a nice luxury but I doubt that you will have room for it. Perhaps if you leaned the railing out so that they gave you enough room for the foot pegs it would be OK.

Channel guides are highly recommended but they don't need to be fancy. I used to use an old Jet Ski trailer for hauling my bikes. I simply slapped down a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood, used the outriggers I mentioned above, then put down 12" long strips of the angle iron right where the tires would ride to keep the bike from sliding sideways.

Rod

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've put 3 bikes on a 4x8 but it was one full sized, one KX85 and one PW80. The two bigger bikes face forward and the PW is in the middle facing the rear. The only rail I use is one made of 2x4s on the front and back. It's tight but surely do-able.

Might try the two minis side by side next time.

Top Bottom