DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I've done valving on Showa and Kayaba forks but have not worked on the WP's. I was wondering if the WP's on my '99 300exc have a 2 stage stack on the compresion leg and what size shims do they use? The low speed action is good but it could use some work on the high speed side. If anyone has any suggestions for a good stack please post them. I ride fairly open trails in SoCal (Gorman, Ballinger, etc) that have a few good hits with a lot of small high speed stuff. I'm 6' at 195lbs with gear and spend most of my time in 3rd and 4th gear at 14-52 gearing. I would like to have the shimms on hand along with some stacks to work with before I tear into it. I'm currently running Mobile 1 ATF (about 7.5wt)at 140mm and the compresion at 4 clicks out from full hard. The low speed suffers a little but it helps the high speed. Thanks.

------------------
Now thats a BIG piston!!
Go big or go home!!
CR500,XR600,KTM300exc

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Don't look my way for free stacks but I'll give you all the clues.....

The 99 WP fork was a treat.. The compresion and rebound fork where cool beacuse the compression actually adjusted active compression which direclty impacted bottoming resitance. The varibale bleed circut impacted maybe 25% of the total volume which is huge!! (most people critisize the 20mm cartridge but that is the secert to the active adjustment, if the area of the cylinder increased then so would the adjustable range..)
The problem with the fork is that the passive bleed was not adjustable and adjusting the fork to control traction and low speed was not possible. KTM used the clasic independent staging to alow it to bleed at low speeds, you typically end up fighting between being to soft and geting head shake.

I'd consider putting a midvalve in it and if posible putting a bleed in the piston along with a low flow piston.. It can be made to work quite well.. I'm just working on a passive bleed adjustment for mine currently..

Regards,
Jer

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
Sounds like you've done a lot of work with these. I think I'll give Steve Brice a call and see what he can do since he's close. I could probably do the mid valve but the low flow piston and bleed hole may be more than I want to do. At least that way it's done right the first time. Thanks.

------------------
Now thats a BIG piston!!
Go big or go home!!
CR500,XR600,KTM300exc

Top Bottom