Coop

Jan 21, 2000
So tonight my 7 year old nephew had his first race ever. It was muddy and both times down the start straight his front wheel/fender so got so jammed with mud it stopped the wheel. The other bigger bikes (he has a pw50 and they mixed classes due to low numbers) made it without issue. There was one other pw50 in his race and that kid made it too. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips. Once he got going he could keep pace, but he was usually at least 3/4 of a lap down by the time we got the mud cleaned out and got Nick going again.

Thanks.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My only advice is to try to avoid racing a PW50 in the mud. Other than that, teach him how to find the least muddy sections of the track. If there have been quads running on the track, their tracks are usually wide and packed in better than the rest of the track.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
The only problems we had were the start straight really, it was a mess. The rest of the track they had cleaned up pretty well. Hopefully next Friday it is much drier.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Try spraying some silicon spray on the bottom of the fender. It helps keep junk from sticking.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The front fender on the PW isn't doing much besides looking like a fender so I'd pull it off for the next race in the mud. It might not look cool but it woll look a lot better when he's on the podium than stuck in the mud.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Good idea Pat. There is a little black extender on the back that I planned to remove but I am not against removing the whole fender. His Dad doesn't ride so I bought him the bike and gear and felt bad when he was so far behind before he ever really got going. He did well in pretty well practice when he didn't have to ride the start straight.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
_JOE_ said:
Try spraying some silicon spray on the bottom of the fender. It helps keep junk from sticking.
PAM cooking spray is good too. There is a connector behind the number plate that must not get wet. It is for the top feature, and if it does get wet the bike won't run. If you remove the fender, which is also the number plate as I recall, make sure to either waterproof or unplug the two wire connector that comes from the start switch..

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
several tips. first is rear tire. run the 2.50X10 bridgestone M40. it saves over a pound and a half of rear tire weight over some of the other tires(ie starcross) it is also smaller in dia giving more torque.
QT50 moped rearend drops in and gives 5.7:1 instead of 4.9:1 ratio. Really helps get around on the track and AMA legal.

Silicone spray, cooking spray, or WD-40. simply disconnect the starter switch connector behind the number plate. the bike will start without moving to the start posistion. makes it easier trackside starting. fill the connector with dielectic grease from autozone and that helpst he water situation and use on the other connectors.
You should be running the 67.5 main jet. the air screw make huge defference in the power each day so I used to adjust it each race day. a fresh topend helps with the power. they gouge cylinders on the exhaust side easily. don't warm up on the starting pad.
oh yeah...silicone, wd or the like on the bottom of the cylinder just before the moto.

hmm 60 kit also helps. unfortunatley lots of them around. the other bikes you raced against have easily 5X the hp your pw does so no keeping up with them.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Thanks for the tips. I have a 60 kit here, it was in the bike when I bought it, but was told it wasn't legal so I took the bike back to a 50cc. Don't want him to be labeled a cheater before he even gets started :-) District 5 breaks the 50's up so he was only competing against other Pw's, Suzuki JR's etc. There were other 50's on the track but not in his class.

I am not sure what main is in it, the previous owner said he went to a larger main when he installed the 60 but didn't remember what size. I might pull the carb and check that out.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are trying to stay AMA legal, then you do have to be careful. As I recall, disconnecting the start switch is an illegal mod in the AMA. Jetting, air filter, and the QT gear are all legal mods. Also, you can bore as much as .030 over if my memory serves correctly. Reeds, clutch springs, airbox vents, etc. are all illegal mods in the eyes of the AMA. Take a good hard look at the rulebook before making changes if you want to stay legal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom