surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
helo everybody. i'm 52 and am looking for a used 250 dirt bike.i'm in good shape, tkd,surfing-costa rica every year,tennis,gym but i'm still 52 and realize that. never been on a dirt bike, plenty of harley's, but can't wait to get started. seems like a want a four stroke, mostly riding in florida through trails and contruction sites.
any suggestions?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Surfdog; Age means NOTHING - mental attitude means everything!! I ride with an extraordinary guy from Illinois that is 75 years young (Young Ted is his name), I met him on the Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail last summer while he was completing the WHOLE system - BY HIMSELF - during a 5 day outing!! Not only that, but I ride with a GREAT group of + 50's here in Michigan every week, and they aint even close to slow!!
Now, to the bike issue. Does the bike need to be "street legal"? If so, how much street work to trail work (ratio like 80/20)? What is the terrain type of your area (open, sand,woods, TIGHT woods,rocks, sea shore)? WHat is your weight and height? If not street legal, do you needs lights? Do you have riding buds, children to ride with ect.. What do they ride? ANy "disability" needs? Who/bike type of the BEST dealer in your area??
Bring us up to speed and we can help!!!
Woodsy

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
hay thanks for the reply. i'm 5'10'", 165 llbs. i live in st.augustine,fl, all of florida is sand. i plan on towing the bike , and mostly open areas around here. after i get use to the bike there's the ocala national forest about an hour away that has miles of trails. don't know many people yet who ride but lilke surfing you paddle out and say hi and surf with whoever.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Now your talking Surfdog!! Just like surfing... I LOVE that analagy!! Your size is PERFECT for one of the new 250 Four strokes! They are REAL light and VERY nimble! I have a really close friend who rides a YZ250F, he is exactly your size, been riding 2 years (TOTAL) and is AWESOME on that bike!! He just got back from Utah on it "dual sporting" and mountain trail stuff (EXTREMELY trials type riding). These new breed 250 fourstrokers are AWESOME bikes!! Personally, I REALLY like the CRF450 but I am use to the KX500 and the big bore bike might not be for you (I am 50 pounds heavier). I think if you want a fourstroker you should look at the 250 class (CRF.YZF,RFS,KXF,RMF). I would do either Honda or Yam myself and probably Yam because they have been out for a while...
IMHO
Woodsy
Oh yea, dont forget gear - at our age bones dont heal near as fast as they used to... Get gear and get lots of it! I broke a four inch log over my shoulder last year - had my chest protector and neck brace on - NOT A SCRATCH!!

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
the yz250f is a beautiful bike. went to yamaha home page and checked it out. what's the difference between that and the wr250f. when you click on dirt bikes they mention the wr250f. as far as looking for a used dirt bike what do think i will get the best deal.$6000 dollars is a little steep for my first bike.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Spend the money on a four stoke and you won't reget it. It helps us more mature riders & slower riders keep up! There are always some used ones around.
Don

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
what's the deal on the xr250r. it lists new for $4699. i don't know what the dry sump is compared to the drz250 wet sump for the same price.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A WR is a trail version of the MX YZF. The DRZ is a dual sport aka heavy street legal trail bike. The XR is a good beginner as well as a all around play bike. The DRZ/KLX and XR are tamer bikes. The WR is somewhat a more competitive bike so its up to you on what you want. Test ride them and tell us what you think(if possible).

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I would opt for a DRZ/KLX they are excellent trail/play bikes!

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
ran into two different old surf friends who i didn't even knew rode dirt bikes and they both said i should get the xr 400. its funny when you get into something new how many other people do the same thing. like a certain model car, until you own one you never realize how many people have the same car.what do you think about the xr 400

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Now here is Woodsy trying to be nice to his riding buds that ride the XR400... The XR is a VERY popular bike with the trail riders here.. They have a dry sump motor in them (this means that the oil is moved outside of the motor for storage/cooling) which has MAJORLY improved the durabilty it's predessor - the 1984 Honda XR350 (I had 2 of them - change oil EVERYTIME you rode or you WOULD burn it down!!). So in 85 Honda built the XR350 with the drysump and bingo - MAJOR improvement!! I have personally ridden them ALOT, have owned a number of XR's (from 80's to 600's) and must say that they are tough, durable bikes with the best name in the business behind them!! However, they are HEAVY and "old school" (remember - it was 1985 when Honda came out with the dry sump!) in motor design (air cooled) and in suspention. Throttle response? (NO PUMPER) - yuck. Sand riding? - yuck.. Woods single tracking? - ok. Gas mileage? - GREAT. Parts availability? - it a Honda!! Starting when cold? (hopefully not applicable to you) - BAD! Starting after a dump (applies to EVERYONE!) - TERRIBLE! Hill climbing? - ok. Wheelies? - lift up to 2 gears ok, 3rd you better be planning your needs BIG TIME!! Quietness? - NICE! NOW, just so you know, there are NONE of the affore mentioned categories that the modern 250 fourstroke doesnt WAY outshine the XR400 (I know I am goign to hear about this - someone is going to say, oh yea - what about topend prices - ok, you will pay more but look what you get!!) . Surfdog, you need to take one of those XR's for a ride and then grab a ride on a YZ250F (or simular)!! Oh, and about the WR (pre 04), it is basically the same as teh YZF except it has lights (NICE), different cam timing (very changeable), lighter suspended and a wide ratio tranny! Personally, I like the YZF tranny for woods work... Been seeing ALOT of those YZF's for sale (try E-Bay).. Of course, this is not to mention the HUGE selection of other FINE modern 250's available - it is a buyers market out there...
Of course, there is something to be said about riding what everyone else is riding.. To some it matters BIG TIME. To me, I ride WHATEVER I have to ride and am happy......
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Same as the comment about the XR400 except a lot less power! Tough as nails and a fun play bike....

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
went and checked a ttr250. price is $4200 and one year no interest. riding gear will sure add up. i would have less out of pocket it i got the ttr250, no down payment, and bought all the riding gear. the only thing i don't like is there is no manual start. can one be fitted. how does the electric start hold up.would disconnecting the light save on battery and charging.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Surfdog-Jump on the used XR250 and don't look back.You'll have a low maintenance bike that's bulletproof and huge fun.By used and get something that's been maintained.Go 96 or newer.

B

biglou

Surfdog-I happened to be browsing the no fear site the other day and they have some killer deals on last year's gear. $99 for jersey and pants combos. Might be worth a look. www.nofearmx.com They have some gloves on closeout, too. I'd have to say, don't skimp on your helmet or boots, though.

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
went digging for honda dealers in florida and found a new 2003 xr 250 for $4199 about two hours from me. going to pick it up monday.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Surf dog,,, Check http://www.floridatrailriders.org/cgi/ikon3/ikonboard.cgi The classified there is a great place to find a used bike until you decide just what way you really want to go with a new one.. Right now there is a guy in Tallahasee selling a 2000 XR250 for $2150.

Also check out www.northfloridamotocross.com it is at Hilliard FL about an hour and 10 minutes from me,,, I live a 95 and 210 halfway between Jax and St. A. My son and I ride there because he likes the SX style track and I like trails and he has both,,, $10 a day to ride. I have never been to Ocala because it is huge and unless you are with someone that know their way around or have a portable GPS you can get lost... Also come up to ATV/MotoX on 210,, great dirtbike shop, that has some used bikes... Matter of fact last Wed I was there and he had a 2002 YZ450F for $4800. Maybe more bike than you want but a good deal.

When you get a bike and are ready do ride give my a call.. e-mail me. HiG4s@bellsouth.net I'm 46 and while I've been riding since I was 12, I just don't ride as fast as I use to,,, mainly because I don't bounce as well as I use to..!!
Hope to hear from you... Maybe we can trade,, I can help you get into riding and spring time you can help me with my surfing,,, seeing as I suck at it..

Al,

Last edited:

surfdog

Dec 20, 2003
just picked up my xr250 bike today. drove it around the block a few times, long day. had to drive 5 hours one way to pick it up , then all the paper work.
rode with new boots , wow those things are clumsy. i thought harley boots were bad. hope they loosen up a little. couldn't get the toe under the shifter to shift from first to second. like anything there will be learning curve. i'm sure in a few weeks i'll be doing great. can't wait to take it in some dirt.

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
The xr250r is a bike that is ussally forgotten. I own one and it has been a good bike. The term dry sump means that the oil is circulated throught out the frame then throughtout the motor. the frame acts as a large oil cooler. the xr400r is a really nice bike. plenty of power easy to ride.

Top Bottom