520 EXC or XR600 for All Purpose

jimboe

Nov 29, 2002
I bought a street-legal XR600 last year for dual sport riding in So. Oregon. It is sweet on twisty pavement and fire roads, and comfortable on long rides, but an overweight beast on technical woods trails (I ride hard, but only weigh 135 lbs). One option is to get a 2nd bike for trail riding, like a 200EXC. Another option is to sell the XR and buy a 520 EXC, get it licensed, hoping to have one bike that will work for dual sport roads and tight woods trails. Which of those options sounds most reasonable? Is there anything about my XR600 that the 520 wouldn't do as well or better? I've heard that a lot of pavement riding might be hard on the 520 transmission and that some DS riders install the LC4 rear wheel hub for the cush drive. I'd also need a bigger gas tank than the EXC tank, and a seat I could actually sit on. Any other considerations? Thanks, Jimboe

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
The EXC with an IMS or MXC tank would be perfect for what you have described. I have never owned a XR but can tell you I have been riding the RFS's since they have come out , an have been totally happy with them.

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
I don't do alot of dual purpose rides though.I mainly due turkey runs which are 90 - 100 mile trail rides with some roads to link trails up. I do not know how the RFS's would hold up with alot of pavement riding.

Top Bottom