Andy Baker

May 28, 2001
Hi chaps, I wonder if anyone can give me any feedback on reliability issues with the KTM520 EXC. I have one on order but am a little concerned about KTM' warning about riding this bike on Tarmac. I live in the UK, and as we dont have very much land to ride on near my home, I do a fair mileage on the road going from trail to trail. I currently own a WR400F which has given no rouble at all after over 4000km of tail and road use. however KTM say that the 520 is a competition bike ( Which I fully understand - but so is the WR400F ) and as such should not be ridden on tarmac as the gearbox is not strong enough, and also the engine needs rebuilding every 100 hours use. Are they just covering themselves, or has anyone had problems with reliability on thier 520EXC.
Do any of you use yours on the street ?
Thanks in anticipation of you answers.

Andy Baker:think

Lawndart D

May 24, 2001
my guess...

is that KTM is just covering themselves but i dont know
good question i know ill be waiting to hear some answers
Lawndart Dave '98 380M/XC

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
This has been discussed before on here. All it has to do with, is the rear hub is not cushioned, and 5th and 6th gears are narrower than 1st-4th, and the traction that pavement provides is too much for them. Thats the only answer I have been able to get, but then I see people riding these as super motards, and flogging the snot out of them. I guess its a gamble:confused:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'd guess they're being overly cautious. I've been looking hard at RFS posts for quite a while and there have been very few reported problems that I've seen. And you're not the first guy to use an RFS for just this type of thing.

Lawndart D

May 24, 2001
hi jeb

its Lawndart Dave from the holeshot board!
my friend has a 520E/XC maybe we can take a look inside to see
later and happy landings
Lawndart Dave '98 380M/XC

Top Bottom