520 jetting change for colorado trip

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
in three weeks, i'm going out to colorado for a week of riding. i don't know the exact location of where we are riding, but it is outside of colorado springs. i believe the elevation is around 7-9k.
current settings
ocemn #4
main 165 (alittle on the rich side)
stock pilot
1.5 turns
stock muff

the areas were i normally ride are only about 400 ft in elevation. from what information i have gathered, i should probably only need to lean my main by about 5-8 numbers. hopefully someone who rides in that area can confirm this.

on a side note, i currently have a bad backfiring problem after chopping the throttle. i have adjust the screw all the way from 3/4 to 2 turns and inbetween. i have gone from clip #3 to #7 one step at a time. none of this affected the backfire at all. i have also tried to seal all of the joints with high temp rtv. nothing seems to help. i am going to try leaning the main jet down to 160, but theoretically this should not help, correct? should i also try clip #2? hell, i don't. i'm about ready to give up and not worry about it. the thing is, my buddy has a 400 with ocemn, and it doesn't backfire at all and he doesn't seal his exhaust joints.

later
marc

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by ml36
in three weeks, i'm going out to colorado for a week of riding. i don't know the exact location of where we are riding, but it is outside of colorado springs. i believe the elevation is around 7-9k.
current settings
ocemn #4
main 165 (alittle on the rich side)
stock pilot
1.5 turns
stock muff

the areas were i normally ride are only about 400 ft in elevation. from what information i have gathered, i should probably only need to lean my main by about 5-8 numbers. hopefully someone who rides in that area can confirm this.

If the temperatures are the same in both areas, you should probably go with a 160 main and also drop the needle one clip position.

KTMTim

Mar 26, 2002
Your best bet is to contact Jeff Slavens. He is the local KTM & Jetting guru. You can ask him questions through the RMEC website at www.racermec.org Click on AnswerMan to ask your question. I will tell you that you will have to go substantially leaner at this altitude compared to sea level.

marktm520

Mar 22, 2001
I am running the OCEMN in the #3 position and a 160 main. Everything else is stock. At home I ride at sea level and last August I was in Crested Butte Colorado and the bike ran perfectly with the above jetting. We were riding up to 12,900 feet with no problems.

2001 Ktm 520 MXC

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
that's interesting marktm520. maybe i should just have some spare jets and worry about once i'm out there. thanks for the replies.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Nope I have the 400 (I'm a pansy! ;) )

If you are riding west of Colo. Springs area then you are looking at the Divide/Woodland park area.

You can get a fabulous map for that area from http://www.thundertrail.com

You need it as all of the trails are marked "717"

Don't forget at this altitude your losing 15-20% of the power you have at sea level right off the bat. I've had guys think the jetting is off and fiddle for a whole weekend, when in reality it's just we ain't got no air! (You'll want to drink a lot of fluids to help combat altitude sickness until you get acclimated)

On my 400 I think the stock jet is a 175 (?) I''m running a 168 now with an EMN in the 5th clip 1.5 turns. I know your 520 will be different but figure 3-4 sizes smaller on the main and lean the needle a bit.

Rod

Last edited:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The elevation up there is 8800 Plus for Rampart Range and Divide Trail systems.

Drop the main two sizes and lower the needle a clip or two and you should be fine. It would not hurt to have pilots 2 and 3 sizes smaller with you as well.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The RFS are not as sensitvie to altitude as the KTM 2-strokes are. I would get it dialed where you are, and bring a couple of extra jets. Cooler Temps = richer jetting, higher altitude = leaner jetting. If it is getting hot where you are now, you are leaning the bike anyway (if it needs it). The cold temps will help your plight, a bit. The main is an easy swap, so it can even be done on the trail.

Good Luck and have fun!

Top Bottom