Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
I have a new 520, and I have found that it is very unstable. At about 80km/h over rough ground it is getting severe tank slappers:(
I just spoke to the dealer and they think the steering head bearings may be a little loose. I just picked it up yesterday, so I doubt that could be it.
Does anyone have any ideas on suspension set up or lowering the tripple clamps?
The motor rips though:p
Thanks.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
New KTM 520/400 stability

Slow down. You'll love the KTM but it will take a bit for the suspension to break-in! I purchased a 400 about a month ago and all it required was a few sessions (weekends) of whoops. Then, dial up the pre-load on the rear shock until the front end feels planted. Check your free sag vs. race sag as it makes all the difference in the world.

Never assume everything is tight though. My father also has a new one and his was loose in most of the bolts. Must depend on who puts it together!

I did get a Scotts Steering Damper/Stabilizer, but haven't ridden with it yet!

Good luck!

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
Slow down? This thing cannot go slow!! It is just awsome. Since then I have out a couple of hundred miles on it and it hasen't done it again. I think it did it because it was under hard acceleration, and the front wheel was barely on the ground.
I will check the sag though.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I don't know what you have ridden before, but these monsters (experience from the '5', KTM 380 and Husaberg 501) are so heavy that there's a lot of weight transfer to the front contributing to headshake when you slow down, exaggareted by engine braking.

So when you back off from WFO, be sure to keep your weight back. Also, the KTM's seem pretty front-heavy anyways, so tweak that front preload stiffer. The best remedy to headshake is a wristful of throttle :)

Also, the geometry, at least on the 380, is such that the front wheel turns pretty easily, so be sure to pull those tubes down to flush with the top t-clamp or even lower if you want to take the risk.

Top Bottom