jjj

Mar 24, 2000
I ride a 2001 520SX. Awesome bike that is well maintained. Since day one it has sounded very loud in the gearbox area. I have read many posts saying the same. The general consensus seems to be..Its a KTM thing, they all sound that way. Last month my gear box blew up! $1,000.00 to get it fixed. It still sounds like it is ready to blow up to me. I need to know...do all 520s make a louder gearbox noise than other brands of bikes? Has any one out there had any drive train problems with their RFS? I love my Power-Pumpkin but I am afraid that it may grenade again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by jjj
Last month my gear box blew up!

What happened to it? What was the thousand bucks for? That’s not enough money for every part in the tranny, so please be more specific about what went wrong with your bike so we can learn from your misfortune.

jjj

Mar 24, 2000
I had to replace 3rd and 4th gear, the 21 tooth and 23 sliding gear, and the 26 tooth idler gear. Also a shift fork and shift roller was replaced. Has Any one heard of similar problems? The dealer asked if made any noise before it "hung in gear". I told him that it always makes a lot of noise. The bike runs fine now, but it is still noisy.

Andy Baker

May 28, 2001
I am just about to pick up my 520EXC, and have been having long conversations with my dealer. He tells me that 2000 models and some 2001 models have an extremely noisy clutch/gearbox from new - apparently due to the clutch bush being made of nylon which wears very quickly. He says that it shouldn't cause too many problems except for the fact that it does sound like it is going to explode !
According to him there is a modification to this bush, which is simply to replace it with a metal bush ( not sure which metal, maybe phospor/bronze ).
later 2001 models should come with this bush in from the factory.
i will be using my 520EXC on the street a fair amount so have been asking in particular about the gearbox, and my dealer knows of no problems at all with any of the RFS models.
Maybe you are just unlucky - i certainly hope so !!
Andy

jjj

Mar 24, 2000
----------Maybe you are just unlucky - i certainly hope so !! ----------
---------------Andy------

I hope so too Andy! Thanks for the reply and good luck!!

520SX-racer

Apr 17, 2001
JJJ- I hope your engine noise is nothing serious even though it sounds like it once was. I met you at E-city the other day, i was the only other one out there on a flying pumpkin. My suspension is going to be done this week and will be expexting a big win at Sussex. In reply to your question, my transmission is a bit noisy and then becomes quiet soon as the clutch is pulled in. Seems to run and work fine, since this is my first four stroke and first KTM I am kind of playing it by ear. good luck and don't give up on that bike

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Seems like KTM should cover at least some of the repair costs. New transmissions should not self destruct. My experience with their customer service has not been very positive, but for $1000 repairs on a new bike, I would try anyway.

Top Bottom