Anssi

May 20, 2001
Hi,

I just got my '02 520 SX and have now been breaking it in for 54 minutes. The manual says I should check valve clearances after the first 3 hours of running.

However, the manual does not provide any instruction to accomplish the task. I am aware of the general procedure of checking/adjusting valve clearances, just thinking about the specifics.

So, I remove the valve covers (I haven't had the tank off yet). Will I need to mess with the radiators, or can I get the feeler gauge in there properly with them in place?

Any other special things that come to mind for those of you that are familiar with the RFS?

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Anssi,

I talked to John Dowds Mech. at the US Open about this very topic. He advised you get "some time" on the bike to let everything seat. The feeling I got from him....If it's three hours of RACING that maybe enough, an the manual is going to be conservitive! If you are not racing you may want to wait a bit.... your call, but I went about 300 miles of mixed trail riding and little MX before I adjusted everything. If you adjust before the valves full seat, you'll need to do it again.... FWIW

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I adjusted the valves no problem (at least the bike runs and makes no weird noises :).

I fully intend to check them again after some real riding. They were a bit on the tight side.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom