Dec 3, 1999
"OK" Now don't you guys laugh to hard when I ask this question!For the record I had NOTHING to do with this.A friend bought a 2001 520exc is now having some clutch problems.The bike is daulsported for the record.The bike has about 200 miles of off road and on road miles combined.Now for the question I''ve been leading up to this person put diesel oil in it for big trucks instead of motorcycle or car oil.Could this be causing the clutch problem?The oil is 5w-40 none synthetic.I told him some one here would be able to say if it was the cause.I told him most likely was but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks
Choppy

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
oil

What brand Diesel oil did he use? What is the API rating of the oil i.e. SF, SG or C etc...? There are synthetic diesel oils with large amounts of friction modifiers. It would be interesting to know the brand and type of oil your friend used. If this is an oil with a low amount of friction modifiers (CD, CF) I would think that it was not the oil that caused your friends clutch to slip. How long was the original oil used before changing to the diesel oil and was there clutch slippage right after the change to diesel oil?

Dec 3, 1999
My friend says he THINKS it was Exxon oil.They buy it in 55 gallon drums and I have yet to try to see if it has a sticker on saying the things you were asking about.He has since put it on racing Penzoil.He has not really rode it yet to see if it is still causing any problems.I don'y know how long the original oil was in it before he changed it.I will make it a point to find out as much as I can to let you know.
Later
Choppy

PeterWaldman

Jan 18, 2001
Oil

Why buy the best dirt bike on the planet, not to mention one of the most expensive, and try to save fifty cents on a quart and a half of oil? I've been running Golden Spectro and Motoil synthetic blend in my 520 for a year and a half with no problems. I Dual Sport converted it on day one, now have 2500 to 3000 miles on it with no problems. (Didn't get the non-resettable odometer right away so the accuracy of the first 500 miles or so are questionable).

A case of the right oil cost less than one tire and will last at least a full season. I'm on my second front tire and my third rear tire this season and I don't race it. Just trail ride a lot and Dual Sport Event ride when ever I can. Go spend $5 on two quarts of the right oil and give it to your friend, and tell him not to be so cheap!

Dec 3, 1999
I could not believe he put diesel oil in the 520 either.It was not a cost issue.He thought that if it was good enough for a big heavy duty diesel engine it would be good enough for a dirtbike engine. It ended up being XD-3 15w-40 Exxon oil that meets or exceeds-api ch-4,cg-4,cf-4,ce,cf,cd,csh,andsj,mack eo-l,plus mack eo-m,allison c-4 quality,cummins ce20071.That is all the specs on the oil tank.
Later
Choppy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Diesel oil can suspend lots of "crud" but I don't think it's the proper lube for the job. Just because the Exxon meets / exceeds the specifications listed would he run it in his car/truck? The different specifications are specific to various engine or fuel types. Unless your pal has retrofitted a CAT to his 520 he should read the manual and get the correct oil for his bike. Since he's having this problem it might be a good idea to drain the oil and inspect the clutch assy for damage or heat issues then clean everything of the old oil (brake cleaner works well) and fill with a good synthetic that meets the specification for the bike not a truck.

The Lemming

Jun 10, 2001
Most motorcycles, the KTM 520 included, have the clutch in the same oil as the motor oil. Most trucks or cars have separate lubrication systems for the clutch ant the motor. They therefore use different types of oil in the clutch (if it isn't dry) and the motor.
Motorcycle oil is specialized to take care of the two different needs, lubricating moving parts in the motor and still have a non slipping clutch. If you use a car or a truck oil in a motorcycle and the clutch will slip because it is not made with the clutch in mind.

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Humm...I think the clutch trouble is easily troubleshooted hey ?? Mine took a awfull lot of abuse in the last 5 month with no problems...using Belray EXS 10w50....motorcycle specific oil is very important in bikes ,even more so in high output small engine that carry very little oil like the 520 ..KTM make it very clear in the owner manual that RFS need good quality ,motorcycle specific synthetic oil and need frequent oil change ...a little reading often save a lot of trouble ...Hope there isn't any damage to your friend's engine .

Top Bottom