eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I ride on corn fields and when I hit 5th gear it sounds like you need to shift but if you dont and let it wind out then all the sudden the bike will kick and take off almost like it was spinning the hole time and them finally grips but I dont think that is it. Can anyone relate to this or have any opions to this on what it could be?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
If it finally engages like somebody hit something with a sledgehammer, it sounds like worn dogs on the gear pair. I needed a new output shaft, and it was cheaper to buy a good 1990 KDX transmission on ebay then to get just the shaft from the factory, so I have one on my way to my door not. Like 8 of the 10 gears and both shafts are the same between 1990 and the 1995 and up models...

You have to split the cases to repair it... but on a 97, you might be looking at a good time to replace some crankcase seals anyway.

If that turns out to be the problem, drop me a note before you go dropping major $$ for the gear pair from Kawasaki... I'll see if I have usable parts left over and make you a good deal on them...

Top Bottom