jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Any idea on the cost of installation of a 5th wheel hitch in a 04 Dodge Ram? Shop qouted $700.00 for install only because of the new frame on the 03 and up Dodge and I was wondering if this was a good quote.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
If you tried a DOdge dealer, may want too check at a RV dealer.. I would have too find out from my dad what he paid too have his installed..
Rick

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
That's more than the hitch itself in most cases. I would think $100-$200 would be more like it. Not sure why the '03 frame would cause the installation charge to go up compared to my '00 - they both should be bolt on not weld on set-ups.

Brian

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
There is some funniness about no drilling or welding allowed on these new frames. Maybe that's what is cropping up. So your warranty may be void if an RV dealer does it the wrong way.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
True Highbeam the frame is hydroformed so most RV dealers won't even touch it but I guess there is a bolt on kit which does not void the warranty so I'll have to check on this now. Already have the hitch which is only a year old I guess I should have waited to buy a new truck or bought a Ford becuase from what I read the Ford is the only truck which does not use the hydroformed frame.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
OldGuy,
Slider hitch, is that the type that move back so you can back up your 5th wheel. w/out hitting the cab?? Reason i ask is, my dad is looking too get a Ford Powerstroke crew cab w/a 6ft bed..
Thanks in advance,
Rick

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I have the manual slider but my fifth wheel was made for the 6ft bed so I have never had to use the slider. My buddy works for an RV dealer here and they really like the new electric slider hitch but the hitch is $1,000 and $500 to install.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Have you considered doing it yourself? We've had them installed before, but couldn't find a reputable shop on the latest truck, so my Dad and I did it in our garage. It came with very detailed instructions about where to drill (always important!) where exactly to measure, etc...

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
I`m an R.V. tech way up here in Canada and have installed hundreds of hitches in everything from a `57 chev to `04 dodges. The new dodge is much more time consuming to install ,hence the higher labor rate .There are hitches made that bolt in, it`s just harder to get the bolts into the frame because you have to use a 48" feed wire from the back of the frame .You could do it yourself , but there is peace of mind knowing it was installed by a reputable shop.if you can find one. Good luck!

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Thanks for the information. It is hard here to find a good shop for some reason but I did talk to a guy this weekend that has 10 04 Dodges with hitchs for his business and he gave me the name of the shop who installed them so maybe I will find somebody afterall

Top Bottom