7-18-02, The Wreck, The Hosp, and the future

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Well 7-18 proved to be a tough day for The Milker. I loaded up as normal to hit the local track for a Tues. night practice session with the Crew. Everything was going great and I felt great in the first practice moto, but the second moto proved a little harsher on me.

On the second lap of the second moto, around 7:20pm, I went into the back corner double, which I always sucessfully jump, but I was in too much traffic. I downshifted hard, as I was coming full bore out of the corner in 2nd gear, and rolled the first hill of the double. When I downshifted, I mistakenly went into first, and gave her a bit too much of gas going up the backside of the 2nd hill. The nose shot up, and the bike sailed high and far. I was about 5-6 feet off of the ground I estimate, when I fell off the back, and landed on my left knee at an angle while leaning forward. After hitting, I tried to catch myself as I fell backward with my left elbow.

This all happened in slow motion. As I sat on track, and people buzzed by, the flagger was at the top of the hill directing people by, but no one had come onto the track to help me move the bike, or pick me up. I had wrecked at such a slow speed and low manner, everyone though I was fine and would get right up. My brother had told me he would be there that night to watch, but he was not there at the start of the 2nd moto. As I sat there holding my elbow, and unable to move, I couldnt figure out hot to get anyone out to help. My brother finally showed, and came on the track to help me up.

I dont know how many of you have ever dislocated a hip or have broken your femur, but it was weird!! It hurt like hell, and shock took care of the initial pain, but my leg muscles ripped and and my foot and leg feel like they were pointing in front of me and left like a splits position, but my left leg was actually bent at the knee, and curled with my foot to my right shin. it also felt like my foot was underground!! Very weird.

I sat on the track for nearly 30 mins, and the ambulance was finally called. I was moved from the track on a board to some haybails, where 8 guys held me up from falling while I waited to get in my "ride." I finally got in and was transported about 30 mins to OU Medical Center to the Trauma Center. They began surgery at 11pm Thursday night, and finished up at 5am.

I ended up with a dislocated left hip, a broken left femur (broken clean through about 3 inches under my ball and socket hip joint), a dislocated and fractured left elbow. I have a 15" rod screwed in from hip to just above my knee with a 10" incision, and a cast on my left elbow. I have breathing treatments every 4 hours so I dont get pnueamonia. I lost a lot of blood and was given a transfusion yesterday of 2 pints of blood, I have gotten out of bed 2 times out of the 7 days I have been in the hospital, but Im getting up again tonight, and I think I will be released tomorrow afternoon. 8* days in here feels like an eternity.

I am told I will walk again in about 3 months, but until then, I have a walker with a platform and a wheelchair. I dont know what the future holds for me or if I will ride again, but Ima take it one day at a time and see what happens.

Thanks very, very much to all of you for the PM's, Jo, and words of support and prayers. I need em. :)

Darren Loudermilk

B

biglou

Ouch. Dude, I think you just won the gnarliest recent crash by an Oklahoman award for this year. My joints ache just reading that story. Take care of yourself. We'll see you at DW. I'll even push you around the track once or twice in the wheelchair if ya show up! :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ouch! You guys out there in OK better quit beating up the ground or it'll be mad by the time we get there in October!

How long do you have to keep the rod in?

Did you already ask the doctor when you can ride again?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Dooode,
Keep punching the little white button! I was cringing during the entire read Darren. Heal quick my friend!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Oh Wow! Milk, sorry to hear about your injuries. :ugg: How long do they expect it to be before you're healed?

Uhh, nevermind, I just read your dup post. I fixed it for you.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
thanks gospeed for fixing it =]

i am goin hone tomorrow and i think i can put weight on my leg in like 2 mos

i should be healed in 3 mos they say\

i am gonna try my hardest to get to DW and i think i can make it. prolly no riding but maybe okie will add me a wheelchair class

milk

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
maybe i did get off easy? we (heartland spodes and friends) should get a pot going to see who is back riding first. :scream: i did a femur once, i feel for you. heal up quick. heck, we haven't even gotten to ride together yet.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That sucks, Milk, but I guess it could have been worse. Three months sounds pretty short for the severity of your break.

DW '02 is going to be covered up with walking wounded. :ugg: I'm gonna go find some wood to knock on.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I just asked mt wife why she thought I wasn't all hyper to ride. She replied the heat? or maybe because everyone else is hurt. Hope you heal quickly.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
wow! the heartland spode virus is in full form!! after reading your post i promise not to bitch one more moment. somebody is gonna have to loan us busted up spodes some fourwheelers so we can get around at dw02. if we cant shine on the track we can shine in the BS/beer drinking/bbq eating events. focus on getting better..............the rest will come. here is a dose of mojo to go with that.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
we can shine in the BS/beer drinking/bbq eating events.

i'll have to pass on the alcohol but count me in on the b.s. and bbq eating contests. i think i can run top three. :cool:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
i wanna say ty for all of the responses. they are making me laugh and i love it.

as i sit here, i get a feeling of bitternous from people. well, maybe noy bitternous, but i think some believe others abuse themselves or something. its hard to explain.

im kind of a live one day kinda guy. i dont "not" do things cuz of what "might" happen. i could have gotten these same injuries or possibly worse, crossing the street at work to eat lunch. i dont do dumb things tho that i know i will get me hurt either.

life is fun justin. make it that. people get injured and always will doin this crazy sport, and, honestly, i dunno if its worth the risk. but i love it. i will do it more til the risk is too great.

you guys are great and please keep up the responses. they is making me feel. ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Milk_KX250
you guys are great and please keep up the responses. they is making me feel. ;)

If you think the responses here make you feel "randy" then you need to be at DW so Gomer and I can give you the proper "responses" in person :eek:

Ivan

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
think some believe others abuse themselves or something. its hard to explain.
bingo!..screw-em. the simpering masses that live long, boring, tedious in it's lack of importance and lack of impact lives! the coward dies a thousand deaths, the hero but once......or......better you than me. ;) good luck dude.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'll supply the quads. That is one tough crash! I'm healing fairly well and I too appreciate the Members responses and well wishes. At least I'm back working but I spent 4 mos laid up once and the desire to ride just got more intense(even rode a buddy's brand new YZ250 with a cast on my leg :) ). Keep logged on and keep your spirits up. Don't get to comfortable with the "white button".

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Milk - Hope you get better soon, are you home now or still in the hospital? That sounded like one big awful crash, must have been terrible to be out on the track til your brother came out to help you. I hope you are feeling much better soon!!

Natalie

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
ivan- hehe, id love to be able to get "randy" but so far nothin, even with the wifey giving me my baths. itll come tho.

bswift- i was on the white button for the first day only, and now im taking lortab tablets. i am going like 6-8 hours between meds too cuz i dont wanna be a junkie. i guess when i came outta surgery and was loopy, i screamed somethin loud bout morphine and being addicted ;)

nat- im still here in the hospital, but im going home tomorrow am

thanks you guys and keep writing!!!

darren

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The lortabs kept me awake. Had to take a sleeping pill to counter the effects. At least you have DRN, I had my 4 mos at home WITHOUT thousands of internet Dirt Junkies to console me.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
lortab doesnt keep me up or sleepy so i take some benadryl to help me sleep =]

Tigger

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2000
I'd like to request that no one from Oklahoma get near the "Bomb Fire" at DW. :p

Jeff on Tiggers PC

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
:think: Hmmmm. My name is Darrin too!, I am recovering from a left hip dislocation from a 6-12-02 3rd gear practice crash, 1st lap second moto I used to live in Texas , I have family in Oklahoma ...hmmmm. I think I'm doomed :eek: It's all "yalls" fault :)

The Dr. told me I'd be on crutches for 2 months. I was on one crutch in 3 weeks and weened myself off that one at a month. I can walk without a limp right now and am healing up great. So as far as a dislocation goes that is pretty much what you are looking at. As far as riding goes, I am going to wait until the middle of Aug. to start riding again. The Dr. also told me that dislocating a hip is 10 times worse than a broken arm or a dislocated shoulder because there is a high risk of infection with it.

When I crashed I felt realy dumb, I couldn't believe out of all the things you could do to yourself I had to go and dislocate a hip. Trust me, I know how much pain you were in when it happened. They gave me 3 shots :eek: of something that didn't phase the pain. When they knocked me out to put the hip back in place is the only time it didn't hurt. When I woke up, I was out of pain and haven't taken anything for it since.

:) Cheer up, in a month or so you'll be chompin at the bit like I am to get back on your bike. you'll also be telling everyone "it didn't hurt that bad" LOL.

Last edited:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
OMG, very painful reading about your accident. What a nightmare to be laying there alone without anybody helping you right away. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hang in there milk... sounds like a rough one but don't make any decisions about riding!

Top Bottom