OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
:eek: I have been working on a restoration of my 72 MC 250 since early March. I still need a piece or two, but it is pretty much finished. Well today I finally put some fresh fuel in it and decided to give it a shot!

Dang if she didn't fire on the third kick! A few final cluch adjustments and I take off. WOW!! Amazing how quick the front fence comes up... and these old Maicos never stopped as good as they went! I ripped around the back yard and blasted through the woods a time or two and decided to give it a rest. I am still waiting on a headstay, and don't want to vibrate the motor out of it's mounts.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to run a rear brake rod when using Works Performance shocks? The stock Girlings had a narrower base. On the WP's, the spring extends down to the lower mount. The brake rod wants to run right through the spring. One guy says to rotate the brake drum, shorten the brake stay, flip the brake arm over and run the rod under the swingarm. I had the idea to get a Wheelsmith brake pedal and run the rod inside the frame. No good!! By the way, a Wheelsmith brake pedal WILL NOT fit on the early round case Maico's (Anyone interested in a brand new Wheelsmith brake pedal?)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That's really cool

Nothing is more satisfying than breathing life back into a noble stead.:) Got any pictures of the old girl?

I had the same problem with the brake rod on my '73 CZ. I was told to rotate the brake actuating arm down instead of up, but that doesn't work too good. I saw a picture of a guard made out of a plastic fender, can't recall where I saw it.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I took a few pics today. I definately have the "before" pics! Keep in mind todays riding was sans rear brake! I saw a picture of one with a bent. dogleg rod, running in the original position. I need to fabricate a connector to tie the rod to the pedal, then get some rod threaded. I have about 3/4 inch of clearance between the shock and the sprocket that I might be able get a rod to run through. Once I get the pictures back, I will see if I can post them here

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
OMN: I was wondering if a flexible brake cable would work better than the stock straight rod. There are flexible 83 cables floating around. Just a suggestion. They also made flexible cables for Huskys too. Need to see a picture of your current setup to see what you are working with.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
The flexible cable would work, but would require solid anchor points at each end. I want to keep pretty close to stock configuration and am not real excited about welding cable mounts on my frame or swing arm. I will let everyone know how things come out. I am sure I'm not the first person to run into this problem.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Ok lets see if this works
71 MC250 lft.
71 MC250 rt.

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Try again. Those X's look pretty interesting but no matter how long I look at them I don't see a Maico. I did see a couple of other bikes though..

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Ok I'll try one more time. I'm a computer idiot. If it doesn't work this time, anyone who wants a picture of it can email me!
mc250lft.jpg
mc250rt.jpg
:eek:

motogeeze

Aug 11, 1999
hi ya
I use a early ktm cable thats shortened and rethreaded , bend a dogleg in the end to fit the pedal.
Best solution is a magnum backing plate that positions the brake arm under the swingarm, or I have seen some extensoins welded on the stock arm to run it around and under as well.
A guy here in atl makes bearing inserts for the stock pedals that eliminates the lfoppy pedal syndrome: http://www.mindspring.com/~astinc/jacotop.html
and other cool stuff
hope this helps

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
MOTOGEEZE, OUTSTANDING job on recommending this potential parts supply and fabraction shop for the rest of us to enjoy. Personally, I don't have the time, the resources, the machines or the know how to make the one-of parts needed for these old bikes. Thanks again for your input.:)

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
On the brake rod, I ended up shortening my rear brake stay and rotating the rear brake backing plate. Then I fipped the brake arm over so it went down instead of up. This allowed just enough room to run a straight brake rod under the swing arm. If I could figure out how to make my pictures show up, I could show you. It works really well.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm impressed. With both the bike, and the fact that you got the photos to show up.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
wow, very nice indeed :)

Top Bottom