74 CR vs YZ 125 (once again!)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I don't really know anything about these bikes all the much in terms of performance. I'm new to the whole vintage scene, but I'd like to start off with a japaneese 125 mx'er.
The bike won't stay totally stock, I'm going to set it up for racing. What are these bikes known for, as for handling and motor performance. Basically where did the factory goof and whats commonly done to fix/modify it.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
The lineup at any vintage event for the class these bikes run in will be predominantly Hondas. It's a much faster, better handling, competitive bike with plenty of spares and parts available. I've watched a good rider on a CR125 holeshot and stay ahead of packs of 250s and 400s. They're sweet bikes. That said, if there's a good Yamaha available, go with that! Why? Because the best part of vintage racing is the wide diversity of bikes on the start line, so the more different brands battling it out the better. We could stand to see more 125 Yammies out there. BTW, most vintage racing (AHRMA events anyhow) is focused more on age classes (the rider, not the bike). So while you might ride one 125 Sportsman class, you'd then be forced to ride a 125 in the +30, +40 etc classes.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
From the time of it's introduction until the first down-pipe RM125M in 75 1/2, the CR was the best 125 due to an extreme horsepower advantage. It was peaky and medicore in handling and suspension, but had a 5+ hp advantage on the other bikes (Penton, Rickman, Hodaka, Suzuki TM and early YZ).

By '76 the YZ125X (not the C) and the RM125A had better suspension, handling and power, but these are not 'vintage' bikes.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
During that early 70's time period the Honda was a faster bike. Yamaha turned the tables a few years later. I just remember those Elsinores dominated in 73 and 74.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Weimedog, actually the CRs continued to dominate, as this was when FMF, DG and other hop-up shops came to be a force. I sure rode enough 125 CRs with a few thousand bucks of hot-rod parts . . . porky heads, pipes, aluminum swingarms, lots more. If you bought a CR125, you knew you were going to do this other stuff too, to stay competitive, not to mention having a bike as cool looking as the next guy. Tell the truth, I kinda miss those days. Today's bikes are so good stock that most riders are better off leaving them stock and so the big thing is graphics! Big whoop.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Top Bottom