elvismx

Oct 8, 2000
Hi,
I'm building two '73s right now so I know where you're coming from. Some of the parts aren't available new any more (quite a few, actually) so you have no choice but to look used. I've found a few pieces by searching on the internet. I've got a few spares, what do you need?

------------------
'96 CR250R, two '73 CR250M Elsinores

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
TooTall thanks for the web page. Like I told Elvis I have a used 73 parts bike that I will sell parts off of. The only parts missing are the engine and exhaust. Also I'm looking for a set of rebuildable shocks. Good Luck!

TBONE

~SPONSOR~
Jun 30, 2000
Thanks TooTall, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I just picked up this bike last weekend and I've been so busy this week I couldn't really get to play with it. It was sitting outside under a tarp so it was pretty messed up, but like I said it was all there and the engine wasn't froze up, but it has no spark. I believe these still use points right ??. This weekend I hope to give it a good bath and possible see if I can get it started or should I just start tearing into it and go through the motor. I'm not going to do a total restore. Just take it down to the bare frame, possible powdercoat it. Clean and go through everything. I want to race the darn thing. I saw a Clymer (73-80) manual on Barnes & Noble's web page, is that a good service manual ?? This should be fun, huh

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
TBONE, are going to race the bike in Woodland? It's a fun little track and good people there. Hope to see you there.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

TBONE

~SPONSOR~
Jun 30, 2000
O.T., Yes I plan on it and The Farm in Wash.
Is there a 2001 schedule out for Vintage racing in Oregon and Washington yet ??

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
TBONE, yes there is. There's an AHRMA NW site out there that has the schedule on it. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to race this Saturday at Woodland.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

TBONE

~SPONSOR~
Jun 30, 2000
Last night I was on the internet for about 3 hours , just looking up Vintage stuff and O.T. I found that web site and schedule (I bookmarked it ) Isn't the internet awesome !!! I found websites that sell Honda CR stuff..so I'm making my list.. Anyone have a good gas tank for sale. The one on my bike looks like it had a ball pean hammer attack it ??

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
TBONE, I didn't make it to the races at Woodland, didn't feel like driving 5 hours in the rain. I've seen some plastic tanks for CR's around since I've been trying to pick up a CR125 to race and have been investigating parts sources. About those dents, they add personality. You should check out VDR at Woodland next month and ask the CR guys where they get their parts.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 Husky 430 XC
72 WR 250

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
T-bone, start by joining AHRMA so you can surf their classified ads and get their monthly member magazine. Join at www.ahrma.org.

Also spend some time at the VMX magazine site at www.vmx-mag.com Lots of stories on the older Elsinores, although you'll have to order the magazine to read them. The Links page has several web sites you need to visit, including the Elsinore site.

Finally, having raced the Elsies in vintage events for several years, you need to gusset the front of the frame (it cracks), switch to a modern Mikuni, put good shocks on (Works or Progressive), and I'd advise getting a parts bike (there's lots of them out there) as a resource for missing bits and pieces. Transmissions are also a weak point on this bike, sorry to say.

Actually, from your description, it's possible you already own a parts bike and you need a properly modified race-ready bike instead. They're out there and not too pricey. The Elsies have a loyal following, despite some flaws (all the old stuff has flaws, some bigger than others). Parts are out there and Honda dealers even can still get some stuff.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

TBONE

~SPONSOR~
Jun 30, 2000
Markthomps...Thanks for the info. I plan on joining AHRMA. I've been in contact with Dave at AMS Racing in Arizona and he has given some good information about how to make this bike work.Everything you mentioned he also told me to do except gusseting the frame up front, he did say to weld the foot peg mount to the frame. I do plan to sandblast this frame and powdercoat it. So are you saying to strengthen the steering head gusset or ?? I also heard a 75,76 gear box will work in a 74 and is much stronger. Have you tryed this ?? Or has anyone else ?? This bike I got is great shape. I got from the orginal owner who got it as gift from his parents. He never raced it just rode it around there property. All the original stickers are still on still on the rear fender and gas tank. Faded but there...Has any one tried that PVL Ignition on the CR's ?

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
TBone, I know Dave and he can steer you straight. One of the riders he sponsors is Mark Mackay in Ohio, who is blazingly fast on the Elsinores (he has a half dozen of them). The portion of the frame that needs gusseting is the lower section, beneath the front of the engine where the frame tubes meet. Old issues of Dirt Bike had stories about doing this and it does need it. Welding the footpeg mounts is also good advice. I had one break coming off a jump, on one of those days I'd like to erase from my memory banks. I've heard about using later transmissions, but don't know the ins-and-outs. As long as yours is working, use it and replace it with something else when the time comes. And it will come, so start looking now. As for CDI ignitions, actually some Elsinores came with this stock. I've got PVL on my '74-1/2 Maico and recommend them highly, as do most vintage racers, so if they make one for your CR, get one. Points suck. I'd recommend buying from Dave at AMS. He's got the parts, the knowledge and he's a racers' racer.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Top Bottom