zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I bought a 74 KX125 a little over a year ago with the intentions of making it race ready for the sportsman 125 class. Well, other projects progressed and additional bikes were bought. I was trying to sell it until a couple weeks ago after the first MOVMX race of the season. I raced an ultima class 125 and had a blast. I liked the 125s, so I'm thinking maybe this project needs to be completed and I'll race it and my ultima 125. I'm sure with suspension improvements the bike can be very competitive with the CRs, YZs, AT/MXs, CZs, Hodies and whatever else shows up. But are these motors reliable, and what other advice might anyone have about it?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
They were a competitive bike in 1974 so they should still be competitive in that class. I remember one old CW shootout where the KX won over the CR, YZ, and TM.....FWIW. I never owned one but I think that engine was pretty reliable, generally speaking. The KS/KD models had a similar rotary valve configuration and they were very reliable. Parts might be tough to find though.

The old KX's were very cool....especially the 1978 models.

Top Bottom