75 cb400 altenator rotor, how does it work?

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
Hi, i have a cb400f from 75 i got from some guys backyard and its been sitting with the generator cover off so the rotor looked a bit rusty. i held a screw driver to it to see if it was still magnetic because thats how the generate power right? a magnet spinning around coils. anyway no magnetic pull on the screw driver. i thought eh waht the hell its probally been in the elements too long right? so i look around ebay for another one and i find a few that came off working bikes i ask one of the seller i says " it came off a working cb right? is it magnetic" and he says " yes its perfectly working and no its not magnetic." i asked a few other guys the same thing and same answer so heres the big question, HOW DOES IT GENERATE POWER!? it has to make power somhow, it cant just run off of the battery it would die. so how is it charging the battery with a non magnetic rotor? every bike ive messed with has a magnetic rotor to generate power ive never seen this. can somone explain its workings to me please? im very interested in knowing.

Top Bottom