fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The Lansing Motorcycle Club is busy working on the 76th Jack Pine Enduro to be held in Moorestown, MI. I would like to invite all DRN members to this historic event.

On Saturday (8/11) there will be a 50 mile Family Enduro (The Pine Cone - 12 miles an hour average). We will also be offering a trail ride for those guys who do not want to do enduro time keeping.
There will be two dual sport loops for those riders looking for a trail ride.

Key time for the Jack Pine will be 9:00 am on Sunday. I hope you all can make it.

Mike Jr.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Last years jack pine was something special...is this years going to be similar?
I'm not sure if I can make it, but I want to run this just once to be part of the most famous enduro of all time!
Fatherandson, we need to ride together sometime; if not at the Jckpine, then maybe at the fall MI spodefest! Keep me posted on the happinings!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
We wanted to make the 75th Jack Pine (last year) something special. We may have gone too far in testing the endurance of our MI riders and bikes. I can assure you the 76th will not be as difficult.

Magoo, if you can not make it to Jack Pine, I hope you can join us in October.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
BB - Lights are not required for the Pine Cone (family enduro). However, our local sheriiff does spend some time at our tech inspection. The Dual Sport on Saturday and the Jack Pine will be run on some public roads and the bikes "should" be street legal.

MTRHEAD, we thought last year was going to be the final Jack Pine. We ran two events last year because we were not sure if there would another Jack Pine. It is amazing what can happen when you make friends (and not enemies) with the local DNR offices.

There will be a "team" of DRN members helping at these events and most of us will be camped down by the starting line. If you can make it, please stop by.

Mike Jr.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike

What is the lenght of the Jack Pine? As you already know i am new to enduros - having only done the Mini Moose and Loose Moose. I am considering doing either the Pine Cone and/or Jack Pine. I found the mini moose a bit to "easy: - though it was a great opportunity to learn and see what an enduro is all about , and DNF the Loose Moose due to a couple to many crashes (couldnt see a thing - thats another story)

So... my thoughts are/were - I could do the Pine Cone simply to get a bit more experience, and definetly not get in over my head, but still learn and have fun. Or i can do the Jack pine - maybe get in over my head, learn to push my pace a bit, or maybe have way better luck than before, and have a blast! Can anyone tell me how the Pine Cone compares to the mini moose? I know its about 2x as long - what about terrain? Is it going to be something I can learn from - or should i go for the Jack Pine? which is the better learning ground? Can someone compare the Jack Pine to the Loose Moose? (certainly wont have the moon rocks!)

thanks in advance for any/all advice! (other than "stay home slow poke"!)

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Mike,

I missed my opportunity to ride the enduros in Marquette. So I can not compare them to the races in Moorestown. I can tell you that the first Pine Cone I rode 25 years ago was a boring ride. The Pine Cone at 12 miles an hour would be a slow ride for an experienced trail rider. However, it is an opportunity to learn how to keep time. We try to make the family enduro fun for everyone. There will be some challenging sections and some time keeping sections. I now ride with my 13 year old nephew and he is tired when the ride is done.

The last Jack Pine was very difficult (too difficult in my opinion), but we thought is was going to be the last one based on what the DNR was telling us at that time. We wanted the make the 75th (and we thought final) Jack Pine memorial and I think we went overboard.

This year will be challenging. However, the tight trail will be mixed with two tracks and resets. There will three sections and one of them will be a timekeeping section. The A and AA riders will have their own trail for 2/3 of the event and the B and C riders will have seperate sections which should challenge their abilities.

I hope you and other DRN'ers can make it. The members of DRN who are helping the club (Fred T, DerHnter, walkman, fatherandson) will be camped by the starting line (2nd trailer on left as you face the Jack Pine sign).
If you are there, please stop by.

borsy

May 17, 2000
I would like to come down and ride with my 10 year old son,
what time does it start on Sat. What time do I have to be
registered by? How much does it cost?
I ride the trails in Traverse city, and have heard nothing
but great things about the Jackpine.
Thanks for any info you can give a new comer.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Borsy,
The family enduro starts on Saturday at 9:00. You can register on Saturday morning. The clubgrounds has plenty of camping area if you want to arrive on Friday. Registration will be available on Friday night also.
I believe the cost is $10 or $15. I would encourage you to sign up your son. The kids who ride usually trophy. Some kids walk away with trophies taller than they are...it is fun to watch.
Stop by the trailer before or after the race.

borsy

May 17, 2000
Thanks Fatherandson will do !! one more question, my son has a 2 smoker
with a 1 gal tank, do I have to carry some extra fuel for his 30 mile range
only scooter or are there places to get gas ? also can I get to Moorsetown
by taking M55 from lake city towards Hougton lake, I think i've seen the
Moorsetown sign about 1/2 way to Houghton lake. Thanks Borsy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
North on 7 mile

Borsey
Turn North off 55 on 7 mile rd. Clubgrounds are west of Moorsetown.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Borsy,
Fred is correct you want to take 7 Mile road north of M55 (before you reach the Moorestown sign). Actually, I think the road is called 7 mile because it is 7 miles east of M66 in Lake City. On Friday there should be arrows on M55 from both directions to turn on 7 mile road.
The Pine Cone will be 50 miles and there will be a gas stop at the half way point. We try to provide the riders with a 30 minute break at the gas. The location of the gas stop is just 3 miles north of the clubgrounds.

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
mike

my son and i would like to come to help with the jack pine.
would like to camp? will there be room on friday night?
taking your advice going to watch and help this year with the race.
let me know if this will work.
thanks
Brent

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Brent,

Come on up! There will be plenty of room in the field. We are running out of room in "our" corner of the of the field. However, let me know when you are going to be there on Friday and how much room you need (camper or tent) and we will park vehicles near by to save some space.
Are you planning to ride the family enduro on Saturday? We can use the help on Sunday for the Jack Pine. Thanks.

MM Jr.

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
Mike Jr

thanks for the invitation
we should be there Friday night around 7or8 pm.
need a spot for truck taylor and tent.or whatever room for.
don't know about saturdays ride my boy has quad.
looking forward to helping with the Jack Pine.
thanks again.

Brent

see you Friday night.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fire Danger/Fire Extinguishers

Originally posted by borsy
Thanks guys for the help and info see you there, is the high fire Danger
a possible issue with the DNR.

Borsy

When i spoke to Virginia Hunt (she was the contact name for the race on the d-14 web site) she said the fire danger is an issue. to keep the DNR happy she said they were asking all riders to have a fire extinquisher. Cant say i have ever seen a bike with one on it! I also cant see a small enough one doing much for a forest fire either.

I just bought a Kiddie "auto" on at Walmart - its about 10" tall, a bit larger in diameter than a beer can. No clue on how i will mount it yet and dont like idea of it in my fanny pack (major ouch if I crashed landed on top of it!).

Does anyone know of a smaller one and a source for it?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sparkey,
The Pine Cone trails will be too tight for a quad, but we have a lot of trails on the clubgrounds. Be careful for oncoming traffic.
KTM Mike,
The fire concern is for the campground and gas stops. We want to make sure all riders have a fire extinguisher at their camp site and in their gas truck.

I will be up there Friday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by fatherandson

The fire concern is for the campground and gas stops. We want to make sure all riders have a fire extinguisher at their camp site and in their gas truck.

So I dont need one on the bike during the race? Virginia was quite specific about mounting one on the bike for during the race. I sure would rather not mess with getting one on my bike. I was rather surprised with what Virginia had to say - and really could not imagine a practical way to mount one! I did find a smaller one though - 2" diam by 9.5 " tall at a local fire/saftey equipment place.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
76th Jack Pine Enduro

FIRST ONE BACK,

WHAT A GREAT TIME...

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED WITH ARROWING, PRE-RIDE, SWEEP AND CAMPFIRE TIMES...

IT WAS A BIG HELP TO MIKE JR AND ME (AND THE LANSING MOTORCYCLE CLUB)

MIKE SR.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
You're Welcome!

:) :)

I had fun, sweep riding is way better than pre ridng and arrowing that A loop! :eek:
Thanks for asking me!

Fred

Top Bottom