YELLOWSTREAK

Oct 13, 2004
Anyone wanna help me get started on my latest "creampuff"? My first issue is some sort of service manual. I'm not having luck finding Chilton's/Haynes manuals for this model and I'm afraid to ask what a factory manual would cost. Are similar year RM's close enough? Also, did these bikes come with a compression release? The gizmo on mine doesn't look OEM to me and I really haven't figured out how to work it. I'm thinking of yanking it but don't know how I'd plug the hole. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input (sources, interchangability, etc.) from folks familiar with PE's or just afflicted with this old-dirt-bike syndrome. If nothing else, it's good to know I'm not alone.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Those were good bikes! I had one back when. Wouldn't mind having another for that matter.

No, a compression release was not stock nor is it needed. Is it installed in the head? If so, you can just install a spare spark plug in the hole. If anyplace else, just plug the hole with a bolt of the same thread size.

PEs were essentially hand-me-down RMs, so most of the motor info is close to the same but a year or two behind the RMs. That was period where mx bikes changed significantly year to year, so the manufacturers basically took the prior year's mx wonderbike and did a few things (porting or head work or pipe) to turn it into an enduro bike.

For manuals, start lurking on ****. Eventually, everything turns up there. If you're not an AHRMA member, you might want to join so you can post on their web site for help and parts.

I've got some RM and PE info stashed away. What are you looking for or need to know?

Also, check with your Suzuki dealer. Suzuki is very good at keeping old bike parts available, altho you generally after to order thru a dealer willing to help you place the order.

YELLOWSTREAK

Oct 13, 2004
Thanks for the info! I also had one like it in the early '80's but didn't pay much attention to the details. I didn't realize I'd be trying to recreate it at some point.
Out comes the gizmo, in goes the spare plug. She runs a little ragged but it just occurs to me that there might be actual points that I should check.
It's pretty solid overall and a good enough basis for me to start with. I was pleased to purchase some replacment plastic on **** so I am keeping an eye open for other useful items.
Do you happen to know if the TS series bikes also used RM style drivetrains?
Anyway, this forum is great and I appreciate your assistance. I'll definitely be around.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Yellowstreak: It's been too many years and I can't say for sure what the similarities are between the PE and TS models. Obviously there are some, but it varied from year to year as in the late 70s bikes were evolving so damn fast it's pretty much impossible to keep track.

I'd suggest finding some old magazine articles on the PE250, as they'll likely answer this question. Cycle and Cycle World would have the most info along these lines, probably. You can find copies on you-know-where by bidding for them. [Why exactly does this become asteriks when I try to post it here?]

By the way, if you're anyplace close to Ohio, plan on attending next year's Vintage Weekend at Mid Ohio. You'll probably find everything you need in the huge swap meet (800+ vendors).

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Yellowstreak:
The Mid-Ohio Vintage Weekend is usually the second weekend in July and held at Mid-Ohio Raceway in Lexington OH. Something like 50 to 80,000 people, 3 day event, 800 vendors, lots to do. Get there on Thursday and stay thru Sunday and bring lots of cash as you'll find plenty of things to buy.

Think Daytona Speed Week without the useless custom Harleys all over the place.

Top Bottom