zxniner

Nov 8, 2000
Hey, I've been hanging around here on and off for a while...mainly asking questions about my 92 KTM, but I'm currently working on one of my friends bikes.

He has a 79 DS125 that he bought for 60 bucks (you can imagine the shape it's in). Since I am the local bike nut, he figured I could fix it. It wouldn't even fire when he bought it to me. Well, I've got many issues fixed...kill switch not working, connections to coil bad, carb plugged up, inspected reeds, honed head, replaced rings, gaskets, etc..

I've spent tons of time on this stupid thing and have it running, but it runs like crap :bang: . I've adjusted every setting on the carb...float height, had the needle clip all the way through the range of positions (and then some with shims), air screw...to no avail. I'm really at my wits end and was hoping that someone here knew of another knob to turn.

The symptoms are that the bike idles good, but when the throttle is whacked open, there is a second that the engine just goes (don't know how other to describe it) burrrrrrrrrrr...then the WHING!!! When riding around the yard, the thing idles ok and puts ok, but it REALLY labors in the midrange....burr-ba-burr-burr, then when it hits what I am assuming is the main jet, the thing TAKES OFF. It actually has really good top end.

I've been through the carbeurator a dozen times now and made sure all passages are clear, float height is where it should be, etc...been through it so many times that I'm doubting it is a jetting issue.

Is there any way this can be a timing issue or something?

I'm GOING NUTS!!! :coocoo:

Thanks for any help you might provide...Dennis.

Top Bottom