metalho

Dec 24, 2009
Hello! Just finished restoring a 1979 XL185 Honda, but need a few cosmetic parts if anyone has them, or may know where to get them! You can see in the pics, but what I really need is a front sprocket cover, toolkit canister, and rear turn signals. I have the taillight and stuff, just do not have it on in the pics...Also, nearly impossible to find the correct decals, so i basically made it custom loOk being yellow and wrong decals. also, Muffler side cover was made using cardboard skeleton and the used fiberglass cloth and resin to make one. It turned out really well, but would still like to have a real one, but again, It is nearly impossible to find this right side cover! Any help would be appreciated!

thanks

.__480_360_12_030.jpg

.__480_360_12_033.jpg

.__480_360_12_034.jpg

.__480_360_get-attachment.aspx.jpg

.__480_360_12_036.jpg

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Awesome looking bike!! You did a great job (I like those stickers better, anyway). Isn't the 185 case same as the 125? First year 200 sprocket cover might also work (they changed everything after that first year, I believe). Might search for sprocket cover for both bikes. Keep your eyes open for stuff on fbay. Good luck !!
Heres a good story on the '79 XR/XL185s: http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Enduro/Honda-XL/XR-185-1979.html

Last edited:

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
2strokerfun said:
Awesome looking bike!! You did a great job (I like those stickers better, anyway). Isn't the 185 case same as the 125? First year 200 sprocket cover might also work (they changed everything after that first year, I believe). Might search for sprocket cover for both bikes. Keep your eyes open for stuff on fbay. Good luck !!
Heres a good story on the '79 XR/XL185s: http://motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Enduro/Honda-XL/XR-185-1979.html

WOW...Awesome article. I have never seen that! Yes, the 125 and 185 cases are the same, as with numerous other parts. The sprocket covers are the same, but cant find either! I think 79 thru 82 xl125 and 185s have mostly similar parts. Thanks for the help!

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
pryor said:
I have a sprocket cover of a 200 don't know year it looks like it may be the same. was yours plastic?

Im not sure, it was missing when the bike was given to me! I assumed it was aluminum, but it could very well be plastic. Have a pic by chance?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
No pics, the flywheel cover on mine is also plastic other than that the motor looks the same. I have the whole motor, you may be able to use both covers if the sproket cover dosn't line up with your flywheel cover.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
82' xl185

Just got mine the other day. having a hard time finding the "fire-proof" part of the air box. im really in need b/c running w/ out it will obviously fry the piston. yours looks really great! my seat and everything is in great condition but the front fender is cracked, bummer huh. i love what u did with that bike. the yellow is sweet. i really need to get my hands on a filter tho, i thought about the pod filter but then ill have to rejet, whatever, great job!

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
Kx85Krazy said:
Just got mine the other day. having a hard time finding the "fire-proof" part of the air box. im really in need b/c running w/ out it will obviously fry the piston. yours looks really great! my seat and everything is in great condition but the front fender is cracked, bummer huh. i love what u did with that bike. the yellow is sweet. i really need to get my hands on a filter tho, i thought about the pod filter but then ill have to rejet, whatever, great job!

thanks for the comments. The bike now has the sprocket cover, taillight assy, and two new tires. It is now 99%complete! My suggestion is to check ebay daily. These parts are hard to find, but pop up here and there on ebay. Also, many common part between 79 and 82. Also ATC185, xl100, xl125, 200x, etc have alot of common parts, especialy when it comes to the motors. Check BIKEBANDIT.com for complete exploded views of the bikes and check part numbers.

BTW..Is this what you are looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...0596509QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...4961366QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom