holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I knew Longtime wasn't going to show, so I thought it was my responsibility to take his place – so I arrived 30 minutes late. :o Thumbs, Scar and Ol'89r were getting anxious. It was the start of a "droopy eared " day (for me, anyway)..

We went through "Gilligan's Island", but Gilligan must have done some pruning, because we didn't have to dismount to get through. I think my helmet picked up a few dozen nicks and scratches by the time we were done with that area. After that, I stalled when a surprise corner came up, and kicked like mad trying to get restarted – then I discovered that I'd pulled the choke button instead of the hot start. Next, we came to a barbed wire fence that we had to go under, and of course, everyone went under except me. There was no way I could bend over that far and still keep the bike up (not every "old" guy is as spry as Ol'89r).
After about a ten minute wait, 89'r came back to the rescue by lifting the barbed wire for me. I wonder if that was planned?

89'r led us on a few new trails, one long downhill with loose rock that made me pucker, and shortly after we came upon a "Mother Nature's Dyno", kind of hill. After messing up about six feet from the top a couple of times, I blazed a new trail (partly) and made it the third time. Shortly after, the heat started to get to me, and I started going off the trail at every second corner. I played "tail gunner" on the last dash back to Corona, and wound up choking (literally) on the dust. When we got to the street portion of the ride, I could see the rest taking off down the road, but I was just far enough behind to be stuck waiting for traffic to go by (at least two us weren't dual sported).

But after all the whining and complaining (by me), the Corona ride was a confidence booster, because I now know I can tackle trails that I wouldn't have tried otherwise.
And all this was led by an 'Ol guy on an bald rear tire, old XR350 that leaked more oil than the Exxon Valdez………

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
It was a blast as usual, got some good pics. Especially of Ol89er laid out next to his bike:scream: LT you missed it.

We actually got Thumbs into the pink bikini for his intiation ride.:eek:
He must of been worried about the hype because he showed up with 2 BIKES for himself. Now that guys prepared.

Re: the barbed wire, it seemed they did some new fence building. good thing those wire cutters fit in my tool pack.;) For all you sensitive types, we went under/ we didn't cut anything.

For those of you who went on the DRN mudfest earlier ths year, we did the same trials, just without the mud. Though ol89er did lay down a nice oil slick the whole way:scream:

My new KLX 340 worked awesome, I was faster and more confident(if you can believe that) the retooled susp. worked perfect. just need a steering damper.

see you guys wed.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Scar is a liar!

Originally posted by scar tissue
We actually got Thumbs into the pink bikini for his intiation ride.:eek:
He must of been worried about the hype because he showed up with 2 BIKES for himself. Now that guys prepared.

The bikini was more like a faded red (like my scooter)...........not pink! Sheesh..... some guys are always trying to paint a bad picture of me.

btw - I'm still blowing dust boogers out my nose:eek:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Re: the barbed wire, it seemed they did some new fence building. good thing those wire cutters fit in my tool pack.;) For all you sensitive types, we went under/ we didn't cut anything.

This is DRN.... (edited for the sensitive types :confused: )

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
It was a blast as usual, got some good pics. Especially of Ol89er laid out next to his bike:scream: LT you missed it

I was just resting, honest.:confused:

Another great ride in the history books. A little hot, a little dusty, a lot of fun.

Scar. That new KLX is very trick. I especially liked the fact that we didn't have to lift it back on trail.

Holeshot. Always glad to be of service.:)

Thumbs. What can I say, you looked just darling in your initiation outfit. The initiation ceremonies just keep getting better and better. Also, excellent save on the hill climb.:eek:

Mastersandblaster. Flawless as usual on his WR.

Disclaimer: Most of the land that we ride on is privately owned. Fortunately, we know most of the landowners and they don't mind if the local guys ride across their land. We close gates behind us and we don't cut fences. I have ridden this area for over 35 years and have found that by getting to know the land owners and working with them, it opens up a whole new area to ride in.

Sorry we didn't do the razorbacks, we will save that one for the next time LongTime comes out.:p

Ol'89r

Top Bottom