Rileysaurus

Oct 13, 2018
So I picked up an 80 Kawasaki ke175, no clue how long it hasnt been running, and finally got it going with a carb rebuild. The thing runs good and shifts pretty good from 1 N 2. It does not want to kick up into 3 4 or 5 when running. I pulled the clutch, deglazed the plates and checked it all over. It has 1 broken tine on the each of the outer 2 friction plates but otherwise in good working order. I took it for a trail ride today and was able to powershift into 3 4 and 5 if i leaned over and yanked up on the shifter. The bike does not travel through the gears well tho and I had to stop and shift from 3rd to 2nd by hand. It seemed to free up the more i forced it through the gears but is still very sticky. Is feels like the shift drum is sticking but I dont want to pull the motor if I dont have to. Any tricks to freeing up the tranny?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's sounds like something is worn or bent but you won't hurt anything trying different types of trans oils.
Motorcycle transmissions can be fickle , so it might take trying a few until you find one that your bike really likes. Dexron ATF is an excellent starting point, given that automatic transmissions in cars share a lot of the same characteristics as the wet clutch transmissions we have in bikes. A high quality 10W40 automotive engine oil will also work well in a lot of cases. There are lots of great options. I've run Shell Rotella 10w30 in lots of transmissions over the years with great success.

Rileysaurus

Oct 13, 2018
I run Valvoline motorcycle oil in all my bikes. It works well for me. I think I'll mash em for the rest of this season and pull the motor when the snow flies. Something feels bent.

Rileysaurus

Oct 13, 2018
Well, I guess there was a collection of gunk in the motor. Changed the oil again after a good power shifting run and the next day it shifted waaaay better. Still not very smooth but I can go up and down the gears now. Onto the wiring mess now!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good luck with it, keep us up to date on what you find.

Top Bottom