81 KDX 175, suspension questions

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Hello all, last night I picked up a real treasure: 81 175 with 200 orig miles on it. It looks as close to new as a bike that sat in a garage for 26 yrs can. The only question I have right now is how likely is it that the suspension is good to go? What happens to suspension when it sits for years on the kickstand (pretty sure it never saw a bike stand)? I am an avid racer and race cross country and enduros all the time on my modern bikes- I cant wait to smoke some of my slower buddies on this contraption! I always spring and valve my bikes for my weight (200) and skill (B), not sure where to start with this thing but I want it to work for me. Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
just the obvious stuff
I would remove the reed block and carb and make sure there is no rust flakes going to get into the piston (unless of course you have aqlready started the thing!) and clean the jets.
spray a bit of oil in the cylinder before you put the reed block back on.

Look for the fuel line to crumble in your hand when you go to bend it.
so maybee replace all the hoses and grease all the suspension pivots
ride it
look for the fork seals leaking and keep an eye on the rear shock for leaks as well

post pics and price paid!!

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Thanks, I just ordered a repair manual for it.

Question: what would cause the rust flakes you mentioned?

Waiting for some sunshine to take a few pics. I paid $400 for the bike, deal of the century, a guy who doesnt ride bought it at an estate auction on a whim and didnt know what to do with it so threw it up on Craigs List and i snagged it.

Wonder if some old CR 250 footpegs I have laying around will fit on it...

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Any unpainted metal part will rust. Any rubber part will deteriorate. I would worry about getting it in proper condition before the suspension was set up. You can check with cannonracecraft.com to see about custom wound springs.

Top Bottom