fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
I have this Vintage YZ250 wich was dumped on me for restoration. Well long story short, I ride new bikes and have ridden these bikes, but never kept track threw the years on things like......where do you get the parts for these things.

Now I'm not in all that bad of shape. It seems so far that the bike was cleaned up and readied for sale. Many of the nuts and bolts, and many little things are either not there or are the rong ones. The tank doesn't seem to be the correct one, niether the seat.

Well any way, I picked up a 1982 IT250 wich uses many of the same parts. I also found many parts still available thru different companies.

What I need is what years are compatable to each other and does any one have a line on parts, exspecialy gas tank, seat and carb intake boot.
Thanks in advance

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
If you are looking to see what crosses over between bikes, use the Yamaha page and go to their parts catalog and have fun. ;) Check between different models and years.

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
I am race preparing a YZ250G and a YZ250G. http://www.yamatopdog.com/ This is Speed & Sport's web site that has lots of stuff including OEM parts for old YZs. I also use this source http://www.bikebandit.com/PartsBandit/Default.asp. Lots of OEM parts are still available, but the tricky stuff is brake backing plates (the adjuster breaks off), plastic (pick up a 1982 fender pronto!) and rubber parts (particularly the carb-reed boot). I have not found a source (yet) for the 250 decal from the side panel. Replica side panels are available from http://www.vintageiron.com.

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
If you select either the 1980 or 1981 YZ250 from www.bikebandit.com on-line parts catalog it shows for each major part of the bike whether it is common to G and H, or different. The major differences are frame, air box, boost bottle, forks, triple clamps, pegs, transmission. In common are cases, cylinder, head, pipe, carb, wheels, tank, fenders, seat etc...

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
been so busy following up on all your leads, just no time to respond.

So far what we have. Chasis ok, but haven't really broke it down yet. Rear break, something not rite but not off yet. Rear shock, no charge for sure, it's still in place too.
Basicly all bushings and bearings will be gone thru in the next few days.

Engine, JUNK. Have no real clew if it was bored 2mm over or more like bored alot and then just alot of piston changes without as much as a hone job. Liner is paper thin, ports are disgusting, exhaust flange is well, bent, oval, and seams to look like it's been reamed with a pipe reamer or something.
Crank isn't completely out yet (had every fly wheel puller but that one) but it's shot.
Pulled the clutch case half, well water and very thick oil in the case. Clutch looks, well nothing good here, basket nothing.

Project may sound pretty waisted at this point. Well we tore down the 82 IT-250 we aquired. Man what a life saver, virgin top end. Crank was left in the rain but looks good. Clutch parts and just about all other parts intermatch and what the YZ needs the IT has, well maybe not everything.

Found a rod kit for the crank, got a 1mm over piston kit for the top end. Now searching for a few things to include the hard to find intake manifold for the reed valve and a couple things I kinda forget.

Give me another week and I can update yall alot better.

Thanks for the ton of leads yall posted!!

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Yamaha has a very cool selection of parts diagrams on their website. The diagrams are nice to have, I printed these off for all 3 of my bikes and put them in a notebook for reference. Yamaha Link

Looks like the g and h have alot of parts in common. Esp. the seat.

Last edited:

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
As I said earlier I have a 1980 YZ250G that is currently running with the 43mm front-end of the YZ250H that is not. 90% of the running gear is there, but the engine needs a rebore, top-end and pipe. I am in two minds about whether attempt to restore two bikes or just the G with the better forks. Let me know if you would want to take the H off my hands (frankly I am a CR guy and want to get on with my 1987 project) for what I paid.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I found another vintage-ish jap bike parts seller online. Used stuff, but the site in nice with their inventory listed. independentcycle.com

rocket, The H sounds good, but it'd be too much to ship so I guess I'll do without. :silly:

Roger

redrocket190

Apr 9, 2002
I think the neighbor will pick up the YZ250H frame, but with the running YZ250G motor in it. So if you need some YZ250H motor parts or some of the common parts that will be spare give me a ping at redrocket190@hotmail.com.

Top Bottom