Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
I have an 81 YZ80 which had been rebuild years ago and never did get to start the bike! The magnito is of the center rotor type and the coils had a laminated jumper on each side of the coils which meet the center rotor with an "air gap" which created the ignition voltage. The problem is the bike shop installed a newer molded replacement coil(stock yamaha) that had a point on each molded coil that would meet the center rotor w/ required air gap. "The new coils tested "bad" and I purchased a new set to replace the (new yamaha coils) When they came they were of the old style and walla no jumpers! The bike shop didn't return the old parts to me when they installed the new bad stock coils and as a result the bike has been in storage for oh about 10 years... The Ignition coil (highvoltage coil) is new and tests ok. The mag coils are new and test ok. New CDI. New ignition kill switch. All associated wiring in bike tested ok. So the issue is I need these laminated bars that complete the airgap with the center rotor. Any ideas??? Thanks! The YZ would be a good bike for the wife.... :laugh:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Those YZ80's were pipy little things. Unless your wife likes noise, likes to rev the piss out of things and generally ride old things agressively...that YZ is better for a kid who has interest in vintage things. (How may do? I have one of six who is)

Best wife bike's of the era were any of the PE175's, KDX175-200's, Yamaha IT 175's, Honda XR200's if you like Pacific rim iron. If you like Euro stuff find an old Bultaco Alpina. Tuned to where they start they were a great trail bike. For anyone.

One lesson I learned years ago about wife & kids. They don't enjoy things not good enough for me. If I like them, find them easy to live with, ride, and can have fun with, typically they do as well. If I find them hard to ride, live with, and operate; they will find them doubly so...

That ignition issue...ebay might help. I have an old Yamaha JT1 that needed a carb slide-damn thing wore right thru. I found an old motor and was able to savage the carb, clutch and other stuff as well. I would try to see if that ignition was used in various forms on other Yamaha products and then look to ebay as a source of parts. My bet is that ignition is used on several models. Any current or ex Yamaha dealer types out there who might know?

Last edited:
Top Bottom