whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Theres a 1982 CR250 for sale for $1600 CAD. I'm not really excited that its 20 years old because I thought it might be a bit difficult getting parts for it. I just want to know if it would be hard or not getting parts for it.

I assume its in running condition, but I haven't looked at it yet, might this weekend. As I said I'm not very interested in getting it, but if getting parts for it won't be a big problem I might consider buying it to bomb around on trails and such.

If you think I should go for it (I'd try to get it cheaper) I'm 6'1", 160 lbs, and I'm 18 and have riden quads before. Thanks for the help.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I'm no expert, and prices do vary from place to place, but $1600 seems a bit steep for an '82 CR.
Unless it's one very , very, cherry bike!
You can get into something a bit newer for not much more $$$$.
(oh, gawd! did I actually say that????) :ohmy:
I would think that bike should be more around $400 to mebbe like $800.
But i AM a cheap @$$.
If you decide to go for it, check for parts FIRST.
Go to your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer and quiz him about some of the more important parts.
Pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings, etc.
If he mentions this word.......OBSOLETE........ its best to stay away.
Sad, but true.

here's a start on your parts search....
http://www.vintageiron.com/

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/4248/

http://www.honda-elsinore.com/hondaads/index.php

whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
Thanks for the help.

I'll check with the honda dealer in town. As for the price, yea I'd want to get it cheaper. I'm still trying to get all the money I can to get a new truck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
If you are buying it for the stated reasons stay clear!! Bikes that old DEFINITLY have parts issues!!
Try to stay within a ten year old range if you can. Most bike shops (Michigan anyways) wont touch anything older then 10 for a reason!!!
My 2 cents
Woodsy

kx134

May 4, 2004
old bikes rock, I kicked butt for a couple years on an 86 kx 250. But I paid 1100 us (too much) two years back and sold her for 710 (about right, but it needed more than when I bought it. A clean 86 should be around 900. An 82 will also have serious issues that a newer bike would address nicely(suspension and handling being two biggies). Parts should be readily available, however, and when you find the right shop, people will be happy to help you. I hate shops that frown on you because your bike is older than 20 minutes. Thats just weak. good luck!

Look for a 95-98 cr 250 or a 97-2000 125.

should be around 1800 USD.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I have a 1982 CR 250, that I have listed for sale for $875 and it is in very good condition, meaning that is a pretty high price. The brakes will suck and the suspension is not real good for modern MX tracks, but will be fine for trail riding. Parts are avialable, but you may have to look and improvise.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I just sold my '90 RM250 for $1850 :) I wouldn't pay more then $1000 for that Cr, way to much money...

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I just sold a '00 YZ426 for $2,000.00. If you keep your eyes open you could definatley do better. As far as the CR is concerned, it better be absolutley perfect for that kind of money! I sold one about five years ago for $500.00, and it was in great shape, not to mention five years younger. It was fast, but the boingers and the brakes suck! My two cents.

Top Bottom