rpearson

Jan 9, 2004
I have recently bought a 1983 KDX 200. The bike runs great after a carb rebuild, but want to freshen it up and replace the rear fender I have already snapped. The problem I find is most part dealers on the web do not show listing for KDX parts older than 1986. Does anyone know if 1986 top end kits will work for the 83 and if the tranny parts will interchange.

rpearson

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks KDXTAZ. The only thing I found for the 1983 kdx that I could use at frpoffroad.com was the complete engine gasket set. They also had the rear fender I need. The pistons all start at the 86 model and newer. I finally found a UNI air filter at www.throttlehead.com and ordered reeds, UFO rear fender and fork seals from www.denniskirk.com. Still looking for pinston for 1983 kdx 200 so if anyone knows a site that might carry it Please let me know. I will continue looking. Keep it fun and safe!! Thanks again

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You can compare diagrams and numbers for your '83 and other KDX's at www.buykawasaki.com   FWIW, there were only minor changes between your '83 and the '84 and '85.  In '86, the bike got a major overhaul including a KIPS valve and front disk brake.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some newer parts that will exchange with your bike. 

Beside the addition of the KIPS valve, the '86 motor looks very similar to the '83.  It would not surprise me at all if tranny parts interchange, but I have no idea about the piston.  Jeff Fredette at Fredette Racing Products could tell you if you give him a call. 

clark914

Jan 28, 2022
i know it sounds funny but i bought a piston for my 84 kdx on amazon

Wiseco Pro-Lite Piston - 66.00mm - STANDARD BORE - Kawasaki KDX 200 - 1984-2005 --711M06600​

Top Bottom