mlb731

Feb 12, 2007
Hello all, I have recently pulled an old 83 xr350 out of my brother garage with hopes of getting it back on the trail. There are a few questions I would like to ask. The plastics are in bad shape and I was able to find a new rear fender and side panels, only they are for a 85 xr350. Does anyone know if they will fit. Maier Mfg sells them at a reasonable price and a couple of color options. Second, this bike is completely stock so I would like to hear of some good/easy mods. I can make to improve the performance of this beast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mlb731

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
CRazy250 said:
i wouldent worry about performance unless you are going to completely rebuild the motor.

I wouldn't rebuild the engine unless there is a reason to do so.

Parts and gaskets are getting very hard to get for those engines so I would not recommend taking it apart unless you have to.

First, adjust the valves and check the compression. If the compression is good then there are a few minor mods that can be done to improve performance. Remove the rubber deflector from the top of the airbox. Remove the spark plug cap and remove the resister from the inside of the cap and replace it with a piece of copper rod the same length as the resister. Also, when the plug cap is off, cut back the coil wire about 3/8 of an inch. There are jetting changes that can be made but I would have to look those up in my notes.

A major improvement can be made in the handling department by purchasing a complete front end off of a 1987 to 89 CR250. Much better forks and a disk brake. These can be found in motorcycle wrecking yards or on some of those online auction sites for $200-$300. They bolt right on.

The 83 xr350 is a fun little trail bike. The engines will rev to the moon and have pretty good performance in the higher rpm range. The performance is there, just twist the throttle a little harder and let it spin.

I believe the plastic from the '85 model will not fit the '83. On my '83 I cut the rear fender down and grafted a CRF450 rear fender on to the existing fender. Most any CR front fender will fit but, you will have to trim the rear of the fender to keep it from hitting the exhaust pipe.

Good luck. :cool:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Ol'89r said:
A major improvement can be made in the handling department by purchasing a complete front end off of a 1987 to 89 CR250. Much better forks and a disk brake. These can be found in motorcycle wrecking yards or on some of those online auction sites for $200-$300. They bolt right on.

Actually, it is the 86-88 CR 250 and 500, 87-89 CR125, and 91 or 92 and up XR 600's, as well as 93 and newer XR 650L's that used the same forks.

The 89 CR 250 and 500 went to Honda's horrible first generation inverted forks.

minisman

Sep 14, 2006
I had an 83 xr350 it was a great bike. you really dont need to do much to its engine, but braking and handling needs attention.

Also 85s had single carb with a different airbox, so the LHS cover prob wont fit.

On a side note Ol'89r i am looking at doing a similar fork swap in my Yamaha TT350 that i now have, Have you got any suggestions that would bolt straight on? and be a great improvement over the skinny little 41mm forks it currently has?
Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
TimberPig. The 89 CR 250 and 500 went to Honda's horrible first generation inverted forks.[/QUOTE said:
I stand corrected. :nod: Thanks for catching that TimberPig. :cool:

minisman.

I have not done a fork change on that model but, you may want to look at a set of TT500 conventional forks. Main thing to look for is how the triple clamps and the head race bearings fit the frame. Fork length is important also but that can usually be adjusted in the triple clamps.

If you are only trail riding, I would recommend looking for conventional forks. As TimberPig pointed out, some of the early generation upsidedown forks were very harsh and not compliant with trail riding. Plus the conventional forks are less expensive and easier to find.

Good luck.

Top Bottom