pooh1974

Dec 2, 2003
I am looking at buying a 1983 Yamaha YZ125. I have known this bike since it was bought off the showroom floor. It has very low hours on it and it has never been raced. The bike has sat for the last 10 years, but I got it started after 8 kicks. Not bad if you ask me. What I am asking is this - what is it worth $$$, what will I need to do to it and what kind of bike is it overall? I haven't found any reviews on it. I know parts will be hard to find, but for a 2 stroke just to mess around on it could be worth it. Let me know what you guys think.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
If the bike is really cherry - runs, good plastic, seat cover, wheels etc, and clean the bike is worth around $800. But if it has just been sitting neglected for the last 10 years it's worth maybe $400. It will at the very least require a top end inspection and replacement of all fluids. Parts availabiltiy is good. The bike qualifies as vintage and could be raced if desired. Check the vintage forum, Ebay for additional info. Our local vintage site www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR.htm

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Here is a great shot of an '83. You'll have to copy the links into your address bar http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/041586/

pooh1974

Dec 2, 2003
Thanks. Plastic is good, seat cover is good. Small leak on the exhaust pipe at a weld seam. Slight leak from crank case. What do you mean by a top end inspection? Piston, ring, cylinder inspection?

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Exactly. If the crank case is leaking then you should consider getting that looked at sometime soon. It is a classic ride and could be restored to nearly new condition. Head down to woodland on the 13th and check out the vintage races, it's a hoot and it will really get you pumped up, unless we get bunch of rain and then it kinda sucks, they have never cancelled a race though.

Top Bottom