Interfire

Jun 10, 2001
Hey guys, I just tried to start my old 84 CR 125 the other day and it wouldn't start, it ran fine the day before but wouldn't fire up.

So I took the air filter off it was dirty, so I cleaned that. I also tore apart the carb and cleaned it all out. I checked the reeds and while there are a few chips (I'm sure they have been there a long time) they were in ok condition. I put in fresh gas, new spark plug. I also replaced the spark plug cap cause it looked worn out but it still won't fire up. It's getting gas, so I think that the problem is that it isn't getting a spark but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any info??? :scream:

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Remove the sparkplug, plug it in and lean the plug so the threads touch the cylinder. Kick it over and look for a spark. It should be blue-ish. Smell the exaust pipe to see if it smells like gas. That will tell it has gas going through it. If you have spark and gas going through the pipe, it could be timing.

Interfire

Jun 10, 2001
Well tried that and no avail. So I guess theres the problem, hopefully it is the wire because it seems like it is worn out and past it's days. Or maybe I'm just missing a connection here or there that I am not picking up.

I don't get what would suddenly go out on it, I mean it fired up the day before just fine, and then the next day there was no hope at all... :think

Got any suggestions?:think

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
The reeds will play a HUGE role, you will have to replace those, they give you your air/fuel ratio and I am sure that plays a huge role on starting,so just get a good replacement set from boyessen

Interfire

Jun 10, 2001
Yes but with the reeds like it, it still should start, and they have been like that for a while and it still started.

I think the coil might be gone but not too sure until I look at it some more. :scream:

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Starting problems usually stem from either the ignition system or the carb. Since you are getting no spark, I'd head in that direction.

Check to make sure you are getting a good ground for the ignition system. Remove all the ground contacts, coil, clean the metal areas and reinstall. Make sure you spark plug is grounded.

Check your spark plug cap to make sure its installed correctly. Check the kill swicth to see if its working properly. Run some tests with it disconnected when you try to kick it.

Also, when you are moving the kick lever do so with authority just like you do when you are riding. Some people push the lever with their hands and don't move it fast enough to generate a spark.

Be prepared to buy some new parts and take it to a reliable shop and let them do some tests. Remember, your 82 is no spring chicken.

Keep us informed on your progress. Good luck.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by KTM/MAICO

Check to make sure you are getting a good ground for the ignition system. Remove all the ground contacts, coil, clean the metal areas and reinstall. Make sure you spark plug is grounded.

That is good advice. Sometimes people buy new ignition parts and when they install them they get a little better contact so th bike starts. All they had to do was clean the mounting connections in the first place.

Top Bottom