NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Just got a bike that has been sitting for a LONG time... got it running pretty easy.

I think the bike is an '85... KX 125 .... early liquid cooled model, left side radiator only, front disc, rear drum brakes..

The bike runs pretty good but the clutch will not disengage the motor AT ALL.... The clutch has no play in it and the barrel adjuster on the lever is maxed out.... I drained the oil... it was thick and there was very little of it (no signs of metal shavings)... I put in some 5w-30 motor oil.. about 1/3 quart, still not disengaging...

any idea?... new clutch.... not enough oil? (there is no dipstick or sightglass so I have no idea how much should go in.)

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
You should probably just put in the entire quart in, if theres too much, then it will come out the breather tube. For the cable, it may be too old and all stretched out, so I would suggest getting a new cable, if that fixes it, then try the next step. The clutch plates may be frozen together, I'd push it along, then put it in first and ride it around awhile, trying to loosen up the plates alittle. If that fails, then you'd probably have to take the clutch apart, which really isnt that hard, but you'd need to buy a manual for the bike, clymer is a good name brand manual.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I was afraid to put in too much oil for fear of building too much pressure or something and blowing a seal.... not an issue I guess?

The cable pulls ok, and it moves the lever on the other end (motor side)... in fact it is set pretty tight, no play at all...

The guy who sold it to me said that the clutch runs tight untill it warms up... but I let it run for about 10 minutes and it is still so tight that you can't tell if it is pulled or not... (no slippage even with the clutch all the way in)...

I will try to run it around a little with the clutch pulled the whole time and see if that helps...

do I really need a manual to do the clutch?... where would I find a manual for such an old bike?... is there some better way to determine the proper oil level?... (Im not a tree hugger or nothing, but I hate to dump a half quart of oil on the ground for nothing)

Thanks for your input.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Thanks for the help Glitch.

Put in the rest of the quart.... I got it out and running around last night (don't tell my neighbors that was me in the alley at 11pm)..... Rode it with the clutch pulled for about 5 minutes and the thing freed right up...

I appreciate your input. And your advice just put one more person in the saddle for the weekend ride.

too cool!

Top Bottom