Boldt

Aug 13, 2002
My friend wants to buy a 85cc mx-bike. Wich one of the 85's is the most powerfull/fastest? He's 25 yrs old and want's a small bike to "play around with". He asked me to look into it but i'm thinkin he'd be better of with a kx100; it's still small but a little more powerfull, right? Any comments would be appreciated.

Excuse my bad english.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Boldt
My friend wants to buy a 85cc mx-bike. Wich one of the 85's is the most powerfull/fastest? He's 25 yrs old and want's a small bike to "play around with". He asked me to look into it but i'm thinkin he'd be better of with a kx100; it's still small but a little more powerfull, right? Any comments would be appreciated.

Excuse my bad english.

For 85cc MX 2-stroke bikes, Honda CRs and Yamaha YZs are the fastest in the top end, but the Kawasaki KX and Suzuki RMs are low - mid end monsters. KX and RMs have Powervalves which make smoother powerband for the bike, and make it more suitable for riding on different types of terrain such as trails, mountains, hills, etc, while the YZ and CR are mainly designed to be on the track for the most part.

If its something to mess around on for fun, a KX or an RM is the way to go. And luckily, both make 100cc models which more than make up for and kill the CR and YZ 85 in top end power, and also roar with low end power. RM and KX merge and make the same bikes for their RM/KX 60, 65, 85, and 100's.

My advice is to go with a kx or rm 100

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Don't forget KTM makes an 85 and their web site also had a blurb about a 105 2-stroke I believe. Search some for threads on DRN for info on them.

Good Luck

03YZ85Rider

Aug 8, 2003
I'm 19 and I ride a 03' YZ85. I weigh about 125lbs. and am 5'6'' and the bike fits me good and suspension easily handles my weight, even over medium sized doubles. The CR and the YZ have stiffer suspension than the KX and RM and are better for bigger, more experienced riders.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
at that age buy at least a 125 any thing less is a childs toy you will get bord with not to mention that you will not fit an 85 correctly and it will not handle as it was ment to.a 125 is a full sized bike and will be the best bet once you have learned to ride it you can easaliy move in to a larger motor

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom