86 CR 500 Rear Shock Problem HELP!

wert456

Apr 14, 2006
I have a 1984 CR-125 and shoe horned an 86 cr 500 rear shock to replace my blown out stock one. The 500 shock eventually blew out as well (lost all pressure and leaked oil on the shaft). I decided to completely rebuild it. This involved changing all o-ring, seals, and the piston band. I also refilled it with synthetic Mobil 1 ATF, and bled it correctly (no bubbles whatsoever) and had the shock recharged with nitro to the correct pressure. The clevis end also returned on its own after being compressed. Now to problem: It certainly is much stiffer, and I can now feel the clickers actually doing something now, but... when I compress the shock (bouncing or sitting on it) it won't return fully (even with the rebound and compression all the way out. I can basically pull the rear end up another 3-4 inches after compressing it. I tried loosening the swing arm pivot nut, but it just made everything a little softer, but it didn't return any higher. Does anyone know why it's doing this? :bang:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Probably a stupid question, but I like to eliminate the obvious.

Do you have the spring properly set? With the bike's weight the shock alone won't extend completely.

If the spring is installed and compressed somewhat and you still get the same issue, I'd agree with Pete's assessment.

Top Bottom