rriddle

Oct 8, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a clearance issue with the cluth side case and the kick starter's gear. Just did a complete rebuild on the bike. when i put on the case that covers the clutch the kick start lever will not come back up on it own (feels tight). If I loosen the case it works fine, tighten it back down and it rubbing something again. I had this thing apart several times today trying to figure out what its rubbing on, but can't find anything. I've looked over the book and followed all the directions, this just does not make sense. Anyone elese ran into this in the past?

Also the motor runs fine you just have to manually pull the kick start lever up with your hand after starting it. If your wondering theres nothing binding anywhere from the rebuild. With the case of this thing is super smooth and everthing spins freely. And the spring is attached properly on the kickstart.

Any suggestions?

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
do you have a large spacer in between your return spring on your kickstart shaft?

ive had to rebuild my kickstart assembly and ive ran into the same exact thing, i got mine all back together and realized it was really hard to move the kickstarter unless like you said, i loosen the case bolts. mine felt really weird when i was screwing the case back in near the kickstarter; like there was something in the way. turned out that the spacer that goes over the shaft but in between the return spring was not going as far in towards the middle of the case as it was suppose to. my spacer had a hole on it that the i had to insert into the part of the spring that goes into the shaft to hold it in place. im thinking you have the same problem, try taking the kickstart assembly out again and making sure the spacer is aligned right.

its either that or you have some debris in the spot where the end of the assembly rests on the inside case. good luck

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
I just had the adsact same problem with my 82 cr80. When my dad and I fixed mine we thought we were missing a C clip on the kicker. We took it off and it works fine now.

Top Bottom