Jerulator

Dec 8, 2008
Hello to all,
I'm new here at this forum and am looking for specific help in reviving an old 1986 KDX 200 that I recently purchased on a whim for appx $200. I'm hoping to revive it on a low budget (obviously) but I know it will need at least about $200 in parts minimum to get it going. Ok let me start with what I've done and / or where I'm stuck. I want to get the bike started first before buying any plastics , tires, chains etc. So I have completely disassembled the Mikuni V12 carb and cleaned thoroughly all jets, needles etc... But while attempting to adjust the float levels, I noticed that when I filled the bowl with fuel, that the two floats were out of balance when floating (sort of like my family jewels :rotfl: ) one hanging lower than the other. Do I need new floats?
Next I put the bike together enough to attempt to start it. I have changed the motor oil, and fresh pre-mix fuel, I checked for ignition spark (good blue spark) basic checks. Now when I kick it over and use some starter fluid ether, I don't even get a bark out of her. So I pull the new plug to check it out, It looks great BUT there is no fuel on the tip at all (not even the smell). It seems to me that shes starving for fuel. Could this be associated with the floats / carb issues ?
Thanks in advance for any help here.
Jerry

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Float valve could be sticking. This happens a lot of times after you have cleaned everything. If you crack open the drain while it's got the fuel on does fuel flow freely out of the carb? You can give a little tap on the carb bowl to get things flowing again. Check the petcock for proper flow as well. Floats are probably ok as long as one doesn't have a leak and is filling up with fuel.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Well with starter fluid you sould get something? key to starter fluid is have the airbox off and open the throttle up all the way and try to shoot it through the carb so it gets to the intake portion.

Check the reeds. reed block, and intake rubber for cracks.

A new piece of hose on the carb and blowing somtimes works to un-stick a float valve

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
If you have spark and compression, then the culprit is fuel.
Try pouring 1/4oz of premix down the spark plug hole, then reinstalling the plug, etc. If it fires, then you know its fuel blockage between the tank and reed valves.
Make sure you are getting fuel to the float bowl, then that the carb circuits are not blocked.
Then get back to us.

Jerulator

Dec 8, 2008
Thanks alot ! Will try the fuel in the plug hole trick. Also, I have been spraying the starter fluid directly into the intake manifold of carb with the airbox removed and throttle at least 3/4 open. Will check back later guys. Thanks again ! Oh yeah, I attempted to remove the reed valves but was not able to. They are really stuck in there and I didnt want try force the issue. How can I check them without removing them ? The intake booty looks good and secure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom